Cannot find on BMD please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find on BMD please help

I purchased some credits on 1911 census and I have used them all looking at transcripts
    I have
    Annie Brett age 30 born in Bermondsey
    Frank Brett age 30 born in Peckham
    Married 11 years

I cannot find them on BMD.births or marriage
    Would someone have a quick look and see if they can find their births or marriage please
    Thank you

How about
    Marriages Dec 1898
    BRETT Frank Edward
    Murphy Annie
    Camberwell 1d 1525
    Tracy

Comment

They are together in 1901:

Francis Brett 22
      Annie Brett 21
      Edward Brett 1
      Class: RG13; Piece: 505; Folio: 18; Page: 24
      Tracy

Comment

Probable birth
        Births Dec 1878
        Brett Francis Edward D
        Camberwell 1d 858
        Tracy

Comment

Thank you so much. I think I take ages and dates to literally. I need to think they may not always tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
            Thank you so much. I think I take ages and dates to literally. I need to think they may not always tell the truth.
            Not telling the truth and not being bothered about accuracy are norms in censuses, and not as unusual as you'd like in the context of certificates. But there's also the simple arithmetic of the ages...

The censuses were mostly taken around end-March / early-April (see actual dates list in the Wiki). The age was "as at last birthday". So a birthday early in April would mean that you showed up as almost a year younger than your actual age.

In addition, there might be reasons for appearing older/younger than actual and those might as easily apply to registration events. For example:
            • not wanting to appear too old/young compared with your spouse
            • not wanting to have to get parental permission to marry

And, for similar reasons, people's jobs sometimes appear a bit posher than actual - ag labs promoted to farmers - and someone whose birth cert shows "father unknown" suddenly acquires a father's name for a marriage register entry.

Census and cert info is only as reliable as the informant, and the enumerator's/registrar's hearing/understanding/interrogation-skills... and of the transcription skills of any involved in a later recording process.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X