Occupation Diver any ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation Diver any ideas ?

as to my previous post I have a Death Cert dated 1933 of a Miriam Rebecca Macks in Stepney Widow of Charles George Macks a Diver any ideas as to where he may have dived ??? as I am trying to find his Death
    He died between 1905 and 1911 I think as his wife says widow married 7 years on 1911 and has a son 3
    Any ideas at all thanks

Val

Could it be anything to do with ships etc? I have a vague feeling they used divers at the docks or in ship repair yards.

OC

Comment

There was also a diver who went under Salisbury Cathedral (I think it was) when they were trying to work out how to stop it falling over when the water table got troublesome.

This is probably seriously garbled... perhaps someone else can recognise the story I'm digging from the recesses of my mind!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wrecks were/are salvaged by commercial divers working for civilian companies, the German fleet which scuttled itself at Scapa Flow at the end of ww1 is a famous example.............

Comment

Christine I know the story you mean, he did the whole thing in the dark, gives me claustrophobia just to think of it!!!!

Comment

Rushes back gasping..........Winchester Cathedral and William Walker!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Barbara. I couldn't quite convince myself it was the right Cathedral - so my unease was justified!

I agree about the claustrophobia! I don't usually suffer, but the idea of that...

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ooh thanks everyone I was sort of hoping he died at sea would have maybe been easier to trace his death ??
                thought it would be easy now I know his name ? but its not

Comment

I think they sent divers down to inspect the bottoms of ships when they were in dock.
                  I remember seeing one working in Blyth harbour when I was a small child. It was quite spooky seeing all the bubbles on the surface of the water and then this "creature" was helped out of the water, wearing a huge suit and helmet.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks Janet I wonder if its possible he died diving ???or am I just being narrow minded ????????

Comment

Um, this is so far out of sight that it's hardly worth mentioning, but I will anyway......

I googled "Charles Macks + Diver" and got the report of the death of a Charles Macks who died in USA in 1922, whilst swimming!!!

OC

Comment

LOL OC I googled and found nothing , funny enough another rellie was going out with a cross channel swimmer and dumped her so she was supposed to have comitted suicide by drowning ????????

Comment

Have you considered that he may have been in the Royal Navy? William Walker, who saved Winchester Cathedral (and was my cousin's grandfather) was originally a diver in the Royal Navy. He learned to dive in Portsmouth Dockyard and later worked for Siebe Gorman.

Here's the link to the story OC mentioned: http://harveyslake.org/text/story_hl_drownings_03.htm
                          Last edited by jenoco; 01-07-09, 01:54. Reason: add link
                          Jenny

Comment

I did wonder about that Jenny thanks , and thanks for the link looks fascinating

Comment

Did they have divers as such before the invention of the scuba? Only I thought it was invented or at least developed by Jacques-Yves Cousteau and he wasn't born until 1910.

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                                Did they have divers as such before the invention of the scuba? Only I thought it was invented or at least developed by Jacques-Yves Cousteau and he wasn't born until 1910.
                                Blimey yes. Have you not seen pictures of diving suits with lead-soled boots and a spherical brass helmet with little windows in it? Invented in the 19th. century I think.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've just remembered seeing someone described as a diver in a RN service record. I'll try to remember to have a look when I get home.

Christine

Comment

I certainly would not want to dive in one of those suits Uncle John they look horrendous and so heavy
                                    ooh thanks Christine

Comment

dont know if you have seen this but it might be worth getting in touch with them
                                      Divers Index (The Historical Diving Society)

Comment

Although divers did exist then, it would've been a pretty unusual occupation. Are you sure it doesn't say "driver"? Can you post an extract from the death cert here?

Comment

Working...
                                        X