Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images of Glasgow's past

I found this link about Glasgow.

Some really interesting images on here I don't know if its of interest to anyone but as some of my family came from Glasgow I found it very interesting.

Virtual Mitchell

Very useful Maggie - thanks.

Oddly I can't find the church I was christened in. I went there with my parents in 1977 and the priest opened up a huge book to show me the entry for my christening. I wish now that I had taken photos :o

Buttercup

Comment

Can you remember what street it was on?

Comment

Thanks for that link Maggie. Was able to get a picture of Maryhill Barracks where my G.Grandfather was stationed in the late 1800's!! Will have a better look at the site when I have more time.

Thanks again! Lesley

Comment

Thanks for this. I have found the street where my grandfather lived.

Janet

Comment

Yes this is an interesting site and if anyone is in Glasgow it is well worth a visit to the Mitchell Library as it holds Glasgow City Archives. The staff are very helpful and there are lots of records to access - Poor Books, Police Books, Cemetery Records, School Records like admissions registers and day books. etc.
            In the same building are lots of family history resources like films of censuses, Rate Books, Voters Lists, Post Office Directories, MI books etc
            I certainly go every time I am in Glasgow.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
              Very useful Maggie - thanks.

Oddly I can't find the church I was christened in. I went there with my parents in 1977 and the priest opened up a huge book to show me the entry for my christening. I wish now that I had taken photos :o

Which one? I'll take some for you if you wish.

Comment

But always remember to check when the library is open! I was looking forward to a day in the Mitchell Library about 4 years ago when I last went to Scotland, only to find the library closed the day we wanted to use it! I was not a happy bunny.:(

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  Can you remember what street it was on?
                  I'm not sure Maggie, it's was St Ninian's RC Church, according to the Internet, it's Knightswood road but I'm not 100% certain of that. I may recognise it but again, it was quite a long time ago

:o
                  Buttercup

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
                    Which one? I'll take some for you if you wish.

Oh :o It was St Ninian's RC Church but I am not sure about the street, the Internet says Knightswood, would that be right?

I'll try to find my BC
                    Buttercup

Comment

Well they've got two photos of churches there.

Virtual Mitchell | Subject Search | Item

BEARGER has offered to get a photo for you.

Edit to say: there's 3 St Ninian's churches in Glasgow and not in Knightswood that I can see.
                      Last edited by Guest; 30-06-09, 16:40.

Comment

There is a St Ninians in Baldwin Road Knightwsood. Is that the one you want?

Comment

Well they've got two photos of churches there.

BEARGER has offered to get a photo for you.

Edit to say: there's 3 St Ninian's churches in Glasgow and not in Knightswood that I can see.

Of course my BC doesn't say where I was christened! I was born in Kelvin Grove and my BC says West Princess Street. I know my folks were with my Dad's mum at the time in Thornley Ave, it was definately St Ninians, unless I'm cracking up!
                          Buttercup

Comment

No I'm not saying you're cracking up :p

I just can't see one that fits at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
                              There is a St Ninians in Baldwin Road Knightwsood. Is that the one you want?

I'm not sure - thank you for the kind offer but don't worry, my memory perhaps isn't as good as I thought :o
                              Buttercup

Comment

No I'm not saying you're cracking up :p

I just can't see one that fits at the moment.

I didn't think you were suggesting I was 'cracking up' rather thinking out loud and sugessting it about myself - sorry :(

Please don't worry, it's not important anyway, I have my memory even it is a bit hazy

Thanks, great site
                                Buttercup

Comment

Did RC priests not sign the back of birth certs.?

I only ask because my parents took my birth cert. to the christening and the minister wrote on the back of it in his best fountain pen. "Baptized in the name of the Lord by me Duncan McDiarmid, minister of Balmaghie parish". My sister's has similar (she was christened in the next door parish). My Mum's has similar on it and I have a few old family ones the same. Maybe it's only a south west Scotland thing, I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                                  X