Sun Fire Office copies from Guildhall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Fire Office copies from Guildhall

Last year I read this thread and put into my memory for when funds allowed as I had an ancestor who took out policies.

Well after finding some pennies down the back of the sofa a week ago :D I sent for an estimate for four documents and this was it.....

"We can provide A3 black and white print-outs from digital scans of the policies you have requested at a cost of £12.68 (i.e. £3.17 per policy). In addition, distance orders incur a research fee of £9.79 for assessing the cost of copies. It reflects the fact that we have to undertake work on behalf of distance users which we do not have to undertake when the enquiry is in person. It also includes postage. The total cost of your order will therefore be £22.47."

As it happens I have, in the meantime, found another ancestor who had the need to insure his property so hopefully the £9.79 research fee will cover the two additional policies I need to order (After paying for the extra copying of course)...Fingers crossed!

So this is just a warning to those who may have read the original thread, like me, and thought the cost would be alot less :o

Or have Guildhall changed their charges costs since August 2008????

Now hunting under the mattress for those extra pennies :D
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

I went in person, ordered the ledgers and copied out the entries. As I returned them the clerk asked if I knew I could get photocopies provided the ledgers were suitable, they photocopied them for less than £1 each (this was a couple of years ago) then again the cost of getting to London from Sussex by rail will probably be about what they are going to charge you.

Comment

Jill

You are right that what they charge is about the same as it would cost me for a one day railcard (£25.00)!...........And of course I could then get to the LMA, TNA, and every research library I could access in a day for 'free' :D
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
      X