Could someone help me get my head around this lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone help me get my head around this lot

My great great grandfather was John Mills born 1848 in Leominster, Herefordshire.

According to census records in 1872 he has a son, John Mills (very imaginative this lot!) born in Liverpool. I have sent off for several birth certs for John Mills born in Liverpool at this time but none seem to fit. I am assuming John the father wasn't married at this time as on his marriage cert when he marrie Maria below he states he is a bachelor.

In 1876 he married Maria Deakin in Salford RC Cathedral, they have 4 children, Evelyn, Reginald, alphonso and Gertrude (possibly Emma Gertrude Mabel)

Maria dies in 1886

In 1893 Elizabeth Mills is born in Eccles/Salford according to census records

In 1899 John married Clara Vaughan, they have 4 children, Charles, Mary, Louie and Harold.

On the 1901 census Elizabeth is living with John and Clara and is described as daughter. On the 1911 census she is suddenly step-daughter. Can anyone help me, I want to know where Elizabeth fits in and also John Mills born 1872. Was my gt gt grandfather just very randy and his wives are the mothers of these children born out of wedlock or what?

Could elizabeth be the daughter of his wife born out of wedlock to another man?

Laura

Comment

hello

welcome to ftf

have you tried looking at this site?

Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

they do hold some records, for births for Liverpool, you might have some luck finding him on there
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Tried Lancs BMD not John Mills found, but thanks for the suggestion. I did wonder about Elizabeth being Clara's daughter, but why is she down on the census as Mills, wouldn't she be Vaughan, which was her mother's maiden name. Clara states she is a spinster on her marriage cert. I wondered if John was the father and Clara the mother, but why wait 5 years after her birth to marry. I AM GOING BALD PULLING MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS ONE!!

Comment

Hi
          no they tended to fib a little on these things mine went from Garton to Lees then back to Garton if the mother married and her new husband took in her children they would just put his name down as father

Laura

Comment

Will try looking for an Elizabeth without surname for that date and see what comes up. Thanks for your help.

Comment

have you tried looking for a John DEAKIN? birth in L/pool? it is quite possible that although they were not married when he was born they 'eventually' did marry he took on his fathers name?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nothing on Lancs BMD for John Deakin, but there seem to be a few on Ancestry, maria states she came from Ireland on census records so could have come through Liverpool, so a possibility, thanks

Comment

Working...
                X