Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .do

hello,
    this is probably easy but I cannot open files with .do file extension. I've googled this but do not know which sites there are dodgy.
    I don't want to mess up new laptop.
    Any help appreciated
    JANE

My son Dave reckons it is probably a Word document (.doc) and someone has mistyped it.

Rename it with the c on the end and see if you can open it.

This site will help wit file extensions.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

You should be able to view it in a web browser, unless, as Wendy says, it should be a Word doc.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

file extensions

I have found this website to be invaluable in determining a file type.

Whoops, I see Wendy beat me to it.

Comment

Thanks for your input but I have several of these so probably not a "misprint". They're possibly from a newspaper site but I can't remember which. When I try to open them I'm sent to "Windows File Association" where I get file type unknown (on that page there are several sponsored sites offering free downloads to fix file extensions. I'm sceptical to these because I don't know what I'm doing)
          and then I'm refered to something called Bing, another site to search but I'm not sure about the free download thing...........
          J

Comment

Jane, try right clicking on the file and selecting Open with/Internet Explorer.
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Oh help
              I went onto the site listed above and have downloaded something called Uniblue registrybooster2009. This has "found" 232 registry errors or problems.
              Before I let it "fix" my problems on my new computer (about 3 months old) I'd someone to tell me it's safe:o
              J

Comment

Hello Lorry
                When I right click I don't get a "open with" option
                J

Comment

Registry cleaners can give false positives in an effort to get you to buy them - you download the trial and run it, then you're asked to buy the full version to clean all of the "problems" it finds. Check out their WOT rating, but if you do decide to use it, I would set a restore point first.

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
                    Hello Lorry
                    When I right click I don't get a "open with" optionJ
                    What exactly are these files supposed to be?

Comment

I did a search for that program and so far the only reviews seem to be negative ones. I would use caution when using this program.

Review #1

Review #2

Review #3

Comment

In that case, I wouldn't use it at all. Can you contact the newspaper site and ask them what format the files are in?

Comment

Hello Lorry
                          Have looked at the WOT site and think I'll get rid of this uniblue thing quickly!!
                          I think these .do docs are from a newspaper site (possibly Gale but not sure as other bits downloaded from there are ok) about various rellies, but am not 100% sure as they're from about a year ago.
                          J

Comment

aargh how do I get rid of it. tried to move folder to recycle bin but 'destination folder access denied'
                            Jane tearing hair out

Comment

Hello Lorry
                              I think these .do docs are from a newspaper site (possibly Gale but not sure as other bits downloaded from there are ok) about various rellies, but am not 100% sure as they're from about a year ago.
                              J
                              Then they're probably files from their Web server, so I'm not sure why you can't open them in IE.

Comment

aargh how do I get rid of it. tried to move folder to recycle bin but 'destination folder access denied'
                                Jane tearing hair out
                                You downloaded and installed it? Go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. It should be listed and allow you to uninstall it. Alternatively, if it's in your All Programs list, it might have an Uninstall option. Sorry, but I don't know the equivalent in Vista if you have that. btw, if you want to delete anything without moving it to the recycle bin, select the file, hold down Shift and press Delete.

Comment

Breathing sigh of relief - think I've got rid of it........
                                  To check I entered uniblue into the computer's search and all I get now is the website history.
                                  Does that mean it's gone?
                                  J

Comment

Depends on what the files were called and how you got rid of it.

Comment

Thanks to All for your support -
                                      think I'll shut down until later when my hot flushes and panic attack have subsided.
                                      Off for a walk around the fjord
                                      J
                                      PS If anyone wants some Bergen photos or Norway research now is a good time to ask/suggest

PPS Lorry - now you're worrying me, I just put all Uniblue bits in the recycle bin and deleted them from there-or maybe not???
                                      Last edited by norwayjane; 29-06-09, 13:53.

Comment

Hello Lorry,
                                        have gone into Control Panel and uninstalled there too. Have checked the dates on programs there and there's nothing with today's date left.
                                        J

Comment

Working...
                                        X