This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT help please

Can someone help me , had a real problem getting on this morning the computer wouldnt start and start up proplem screen came up and I had to gice it permission to to repair ;;;Its scanned for ages and ended up doing a sysyen restore , and it still wouldnt work so had to send report off
    the ony thing mentioned on the report that I could understand was everything finnished with 0. 0 and that service pack 2 was mentioned ;;

Anyway neighbour told me to turn it off and leave for min then try it again which I did and managed to get on , ;;;

Its on but my mail wont connect to send anything and its running so slow that its rediculous ;;
    Im trying to back up to external as much as I can but it wont let me do full folder having to do 1 by 1 tried to send via my yahoo account and thats the same so still would take me all day ;;

is there anything I can down load to check that something hasnt got my machine or not ;;;

I ran yesterday as it was running slow;;;;:

Norton 1 problem which is sign in to yahoo
    15 TC from spybot
    even did defender scan nothing found , have turned that back off;;;
    please help
    borobabs passed away March 2018

My computer man is working out of the area at the mo he has just phoned me and said for me to do a system restore for month agon till he can get here on Saturday ;;
    I will loose SP2 and the latest incredimal just worried will loose all date I have added to tree and census pages I have downloaded

Comment

Sorry Babs can't help with your problem ...but I can sympathise with you as I had the same problem a month ago.

I did have mine backed up on an external HD (or so I thought) ..... mine was the HD and had to get another computer ...... then the external HD went .... it was working for a minute at a time so I had to get 2 hours of stuff off and on to my new computer ONE FILE AT A TIME ... took me all day.

BL,....DY things...

Jean
      Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I dont think you will lose any of that Babs ? you arent running windows defender as well as the other anti virus are you ???

Comment

as Val says ..... if you do a system restore ...you shouldn't lose anything that's been already saved .....

Jean
          Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

No Val hjave turned that off ,,been trying to back up my tree everywhere but the census folder will only let me do it 1x1 and no sending e-mails so have been sending to daughters 2 skippys as dont know which one she is using

So what Val download both of them or just 1 ???

Comment

I had them both installed before I got myself the Kaspersky suite which is brilliant nothing else needed it has the lot .
              They are both safe to install Babs then scan with both of them and see if anything comes up

Comment

Norton runs out in 40 days Val so might look for that then ;;;
                off to download and run

Comment

Babs if you do you can get it to cover more than one pc ,I bought mine on Amazon its easy to install and thats all you will need nothing else .

Comment

Right thats good to know ;;;well malwarebytes has found 18 ? so far but they could be tracking cookies

Comment

they dont slow down the pc Babs I dont think

Comment

No Val know they dont have removed them nd thatk god comp started up now to se if everything normal or if I should down load and run other thing

Comment

I would install it anyway Babs it wont hurt.

Comment

I bought my new computer last Oct and recently it did the same thing..it tried unsuccesfully to repair itself... later it took 20 minutes to open up and another 20 to change a page
                            The helpline said save anything important then change to factory settings... but it was too slow to save anything.. I lost a lot of information including many photographs on E-mail.
                            I am still not happy with it but have not yet established if it my computer or family treemaker 2005 but at least three times recently I have lost notes that I have added to individuals and also lost recent additions.......

I have re-installed FTM and all my family history is now on external hard drive
                            Hope you have more success than I

Comment

I caught sight of Kaspersky on offer in The Works the other day, but I didn't look closely, so don't know which utility it was. Might be worth checking out, though.
                              Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Lorry its fantastic its an all in one so nothing else needed has its own firewall .
                                Colin I sympathise if its vista I have trouble with every back up I try to do dont know why ?
                                Its just taken me over 2 hours to sort it and its finally backed up.

Last edited by Guest; 29-06-09, 13:50.

Comment

Colin yes I to have saved to external hardrive but dont know if that saves the pictures and cusus thats been added ;;
                                  well Im up and running agin Val thanks to your help , (((hugs))) just need to keep getting on till w/e and me laddo comes to see whats happened ;;but
                                  if I open a new tab now everything isbeen changed to open with incredimail tab symbol ;;;
                                  arghhhhhh computers like cars when they are running smooth ok but if out goes wrong everything does ;;;
                                  so need to get rid of that as site now saved with incredimail symbol and daft defender turned back on so closed that back down ;;

Comment

Babs maybe your home page got changed ??

Comment

Babs, if you have Barclays online banking they give you a Kaspersky suite free

I got mine free from trial pay, just bought some ink from inkclub (which I do anyway) and got a year free.

But as Val says you can get it on amazon to do 3 computers for about £15 I think (oh, its on quidco aswell, 25% off I just noticed)

The only time I notice the kaspersky suite is when I first turn on, sometimes it is slow starting up because Kaspersky downloads all the new stuff since you last turned off.

Val - I still cant get my system restore to restore since I had VISTA - it goes through all the motions and then says, not been able to do it :(
                                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-06-09, 17:57.

Comment

just about to eat Heather when I have finished I'll tell you what I had to do

Comment

Working...
                                        X