Family Tree ver 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree ver 11

Would anyone know how I can move information from my tree program on the PC to my program on my Laptop without having to retype all the information as it takes so long. I did have a go at it but the file on my family came out only as a read file only ??? Thank you Sheba53:o

I am not familiar with Family Tree 11 but you will have at least one or more options:

1. Export your tree to a GedCom file and then import it using Family Tree on the laptop.

2. Copy the actual database that Family Tree uses to the laptop -- this could be more complicated but also more complete.

3. It may also have a backup and restore option you could use.

I am sure someone who has Family Tree Maker 11 will be able to be more specific, but in essence it is possible.
    David.
    Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

Have a look at the folliwng link, it may help:

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/tipsGEDCOMfiles.asp

When you come to import the file into the programme on your laptop you'll most likely see an import option.

'Read Only' - Try right clicking on the file icon, select properties and look for for a 'Read Only' field. If it's ticked untick it. See if that makes any difference.
      Last edited by Guest; 29-06-09, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheba53 View Post
        Would anyone know how I can move information from my tree program on the PC to my program on my Laptop without having to retype all the information as it takes so long. I did have a go at it but the file on my family came out only as a read file only ??? Thank you Sheba53:o
        When you said the file came out only as a read only file - did you actually transfer the file on to the hard disk of your laptop or were you trying to read it from a CD or memory stick?

Which program are you using on your laptop?
        Elaine

Comment

My first choice would be to copy the database file(s) to a memory stick and load them to the correct folder on the new laptop.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Re Family Tree

I am using the same fam tree ver 11 on my laptop also. I did burn the infomation on to a cd. Even did a copy as a backup file thinking that would be easy by just going to the restore backup button on the laptop. No good.... I realize it is something so very simple but with your help I know I will get it. thank you. Sheba53

Comment

Transfer the file from the CD to your computer before you try to open it.
              Elaine

Comment

Re:Fam tree ver 11

Thanks everyone for your help on my tree problem, I will try each of the suggestions and get back to on how I go. Sheba53

Comment

Re: Family tree

Thanks everyone for the help. I have just made a new file saved it and will have a shot at putting it on my laptop, will let you know how I go. Please please let it work.. sheba53: ;)

Comment

RE:Family Tree

What can I say to all my new friends but thank you so much for your advice. I did a backup copy of my file and took it to my mem stick and over to my laptop. Got a bit mixed up there but took a deep breath and read the information I was given and to my surprise all 2150 names were there. No having to type them all in. Now I will just add new info to both treesas I get them. Again many thanks to you all. ;)

Comment

There you go. You are now a certified techie.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X