Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free online records for Essex

Hi
    Just recieved newsletter from Lost Cousins and this was one of the items.
    Hope it is of interest to someone

AMAZING - ESSEX REGISTERS FREE ONLINE!

I've long been envious of the online parish registers for north-west Kent that can be found on the CityArk site run by Medway Council Archives Service.

I was therefore pleasantly surprised - no, amazed - to discover purely by chance that many Essex parish registers and other records can now be viewed free online, thanks to the Essex Record Office. It's great news even if - like me - you've previously searched microfiche copies, because these high-resolution colour scans from the original registers reveal information that was previously illegible (and as a result I now know the maiden name of my 7G grandmother, which opens up a whole new line of research for me).

And it's not only registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials that are online - I've just been browsing a 1929 electoral register. Of course, this is an ongoing project, and it will be some time before all of the registers are available - but I understand that already there are registers from every parish online, usually the earliest to have survived.

To find out whether the Essex records you're interested in are available online click here to go to the Seax search page, then type brief details in the Search Criteria box - for example, marriage register stansted

If online images are available you'll see a multicoloured icon against the relevant result - click the icon, then select one of the images from the drop-down menu (I'm afraid that finding a specific page is a matter of trial and error, because there is no online index). Click on the picture to see a sample image from the Coggeshall register.

You can see the whole newsletter at
    LostCousins newsletter 26/6/09

Many thanks Jackdaw

Comment

Thank you

Linda

Comment

Essex records for Toovey

thanks for the tip
        I was only just thinking how I was going to tackle looking up parish records for essex.
        The info was good but unfortunely i didn't have a lot of success.
        I was looking for records from Harlow and Colchester.
        Harlow records were stolen in 1814 and alot were then lost and the records for colchester I need are not on line. What a shame.
        I am looking for anything for Toovey from Essex.
        researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Comment

Why Oh Why don't all councils offer a service like this????

Just had a look through some of these images, unfortunately I don't (as yet!) have any links to Essex :-(

I'm so envious at the minute, any ideas how I could persude Lincolnshire & Northamptonshire to follow this example??

Comment

Working...
          X