I shall go mad with this copying thing help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shall go mad with this copying thing help please

After trying to copy all my docs to the DVD-R and being told it would take 19 days - I gave up. I took peoples advice on here and found a free burning program. The one most people seemed to recommend on google was CDBurnerXP.

Download it, put in on puter, it says drag files to here, I drag "Documents" and away it sprinted - Id put the DVDR in and it said it had burnt all the docs to it (took 5 mins).

I take out the dvd r, well pleased then think Ill just check its all on there. Bung it in and I get a message from MS that it cant access the disk, something about it should have been formatted.

Ive tried again this morning and when I put the disc back in to see whats on it nothing happens. Ive opened Computer and can see the disc sitting there with 2.8 gb on it so how do I get it to open

Also, I noticed on the Recovery drive (this is by the by) it says only about 1.9 gb free out of 9.9? Is that normal/ok?

Gawd help - I just put the dvd back in the dvd slot and it whirred a bit and then a little box came up saying Searching for content, your default action will occur (or somesuch). Then a bigger box comes up head auto play with all these options for copying stuff and then theres a line across the box and at the bottom it says General Options. Under that there is a folder icon and it says next to it Open folder to view files. I click on that and all my docs come up.

NOW, does that mean those docs are actually on the dvdr OR are they just ones on my computer? How do I know PLEASE??? (just noticed its not ALL my docs, as the earliest one on my puter is 2004 and thats not showing. This dvd may have burned a lot from the 19 days thing)

The other thing is, at the very bottom of the box it says "set auto play defaults in Control Panel". I click on that and a big box comes up saying Choose what happens when you insert different types of media" NOW it goes through a list of stuff with drop down things which mostly have "ask me" opposite them as the default - is that right? Or should I do something there please?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 28-06-09, 13:44.

Comment

Just tried to burn the docs to disc again - it says Not enough room on " DVD R UDF volume "

What is UDF Volume anyone please?

Comment

Heather havnt you got another computer or a friend have one that you can try the disc and see if they are copied over already ???
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
          Just tried to burn the docs to disc again - it says Not enough room on " DVD R UDF volume "

What is UDF Volume anyone please?
          Universal Disk Format

You don't appear to have enough free space on the DVD for the files you're trying to burn to it. Assuming you're using XP, to check the DVD you originally burned the files to:
          1. Put the DVD in your DVD drive
          2. Cancel any messages/boxes that appear
          3. Right-click on the Start button and choose Explore. This will open Windows Explorer. Alternatively, double-click on My Computer on your desktop.
          4. You should see the DVD drive listed under My Computer.
          5. Click on the drive. You should see the files on the drive appear on the right.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Thanks Lorry, I have VISTA - but I think the DVD did copy some of the files before - I did start another thread somewhere I think about it - I shall go and get some other DVDs tomorrow and see if they were the fault.

Appreciate your assistance

Comment

Working...
            X