Amy Lily White - where is she?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Lily White - where is she?

While looking through the Union records, I came across a child that had a sad story and I have been attempting to find her in the censuses but I am
    struggling, this what the register states

Amy Lily White (or Leslie), born c1894, admitted to Lambeth Workhouse on 26 August 1899 until 12 September 1899, then transferred to the Union School until 18 Nov 1899

This child was found wandering in Brixton Road and was brought in by the Police, notices were circulated giving description of child. The child was
    eventually adopted by Mr(could say Mr or Mrs) Neville of Gun Wharf House,
    Gun Wharf Road, Portsmouth,

On 8th March 1905, Mr Neville applied to the board to re-admit the girl stating she was troublesome - board agreed, then on 21 June 1905 she returned to the Neville family, for adoption.

She would have been about 5 when adopted and 11 when sent back,

Can anyone locate her in the 1901?

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

do you know where she was born there is one in Ramsgate born 1895 which would be the nearest I suppose

Comment

There's a Amy White in a Convent Orphanage in Upper Norwood here

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Sue

Comment

its a possible though the age differs by a couple of years to what the union
        estimated, the record does not give a birth place for her.

Thanks

George
        Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

They would write down what she told them. Maybe she didn't know or they didn't ask for her place of birth.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I might have found her, skimming through all the Neville families in
            Portsmouth, there is a Gwendoline I Neville born 1895 Lambeth London, I think
            it says underneath daughter, adopted in brackets, can anyone else look at
            the image and confirm it for me?

Comment

It looks like it says adopted to me
              Jeanette
              Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Did you consider that her name could have been Amy Lillywhite?
                Jeanette
                Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Working...
                X