Records of Postmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records of Postmen

I'm trying to find out about a man who was a postman in the Wandsworth/Battersea area of London in 1920 (refs; marriage cert, birth & death cert of daughter).

What I desperately need, to enable me to go further back with this particular branch of my family, is to know where he was born (it wasn't England & Wales), and I was wondering if his employment records might tell me.

I found the site 'The British Postal Museum & Archive', but it doesn't look like records are here. Does anyone know if they keep such records, and should I write to them?
    Can anyone recommend a site which deals with postmen, and/or were I might find what I'm searching for?
    Karen x

Have a look at this link - it does say that staff records are held at The British Postal Museum & Archive.
    The National Archives | Search the archives | ARCHON Directory | Repository Details
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.
      Having read the information on the NA site you've given me, and the Royal Mail and the British Postal Museum & Archive sites, it does seem that the British Postal Museum site is the best bet for employees records, so I'll drop them an e.mail enquiry.
      Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Thanks.
      Karen x

Comment

I have been there, I have my Great Grandfather on a list of starters and also one for when he retired. There was nothing else for my rellie but I hope you find what you need. Various records there.
        Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

I once got some very helpful information, several years ago, from the Rootsweb Postal Workers Mailing list web site. I am not sure whether it is still an active site but here is the link.

General United Kingdom and Ireland Mailing Lists

Joy

Comment

Thanks Fi. I'm not able to go there myself, so have just sent off an e.mail enquiry.

Thanks Joy I'll visit the site now.

This man is my brickwall, and has been for donkey's years. I keep putting him on the back-burner as he's such a pain in the neck. If I found when he started and finished at the GPO, it would be load more than I know of him already!!!
            Karen x

Comment

I have seen exam results for postal workers in the London Gazette - that might give you some clues.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline.
                I'll take a look .
                Karen x

Comment

Thanks Caroline. I just found my Great Grandfather listed on there
                  Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Working...
                  X