Matlock or Bakewell ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matlock or Bakewell ?

I found a burial on the Andrews pages for Matlock Derbyshire for my 3 x great grandfather, baptised 22 Dec 1771

KNOWLES Peter 1860 19-Dec Matlock 89

The only ref i can find for a death cert says the district is Bakewell, can someone tell me if this is right please

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

On FreeBMD only one I could see was in Bakewell but you may have trouble with page number; Dec 1860 7b, 3_0.

Comment

Thank you Both,

Bob...He seems to have lived in Matlock all his life, have found him in 1841 but not 1851 and the age is right for it to be him,

Alan...have just looked at the image on Ancestry and it looks like 328 to me, but would appreciate if someone could take a look and comfirm this please

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

I would agree 328. Rather odd shaped 8s but the 0s are clear enough.

Cliff

Comment

Thank you Cliff, the 8s are an odd shape

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
            Thank you Both,

Bob...He seems to have lived in Matlock all his life, have found him in 1841 but not 1851 and the age is right for it to be him,

Alan...have just looked at the image on Ancestry and it looks like 328 to me, but would appreciate if someone could take a look and comfirm this please

Sylvia
            Yes Sylvia, it looks like 328 to me too
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you Julie

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

Thank you for looking Bob, but no thats not him, my Peter Knowles married a Hannah Walker in 1800 and had children Ann, Rachel, Fanny and my 2 x great grandmother Lucy.

He was on his own in 1841 with a female servant and hes a shoemaker

Fanny died in 1832, Lucy married later the same year, i have no idea what happened to Ann or Rachel and cannot find a death for wife Hannah.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

There is a death for Anna Maria Knowles in Bakewell. Sep qtr 1839...19/262

Comment

Thank you Lyn, i will look into that one

Your up late tonight

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Comment

Certs on order Bob, dispatch date July 3,

Sylvia
                      Sylvia

Comment

Think i have found him in 1851 as Peter Krowles, lodging about 4 doors away from his son in law John Spencer and family in Temple Normanton, Peters daughter Lucy married john Spencer in 1832 and had died in 1848 after having her last child.

1851 census, Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2147; Folio: 309; Page: 44; GSU roll: 87779-87780.

Cert should arrive 7-10 days after dispatch date, will let you know whats on it.

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia,

do you have any info on Hannah or the missing children? ie DOB's? and POB?
                          Julie

Comment

I do Julie, what i have found on the Wirksworth site and the Andrews site

Hannah Walker baptised 12 Feb 1786 at Matlock, was the illegitimate daughter of Rebecca Walker, she married Peter Knowles 22 Jan 1800, which means she was only 14 or had a late baptism,

Ann Knowles baptised 1st June 1800

Rachel Knowles baptised 1802 no other date

Franny/ Frances Knowles Baptism 25 Dec 1803 married John Spencer 16 Sept 1828, died 25 Jan 1832

Then there is a gap,

Lucy Knowles baptism 29 Mar 1812, married her sisters widower 13 Oct 1832 died 1848, am waiting on cert

These were all born in Matlock

Sylvia
                            Sylvia

Comment

hmn well according to Hugh Wallis site, there is a marriage for an ANN KNOWLES to a MARTIN BARTON they married 02 Sept 1822 @ Matlock

this could be your missing Ann, although from looking at the various records Knowles is a popular name in Matlock.

I cant even find a bapt for Rachel.. :o
                              Julie

Comment

Its here Julie,

WIRKSWORTH-Parish Records 1608-1899-Matlock Registers

C 1802 KNOWLES Rachel=Peter/Hannah(Matlock)

Its also on the Andrews site.
                                Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 29-06-09, 13:50.
                                Sylvia

Comment

Will keep a note of that marriage for Ann Knowles, thank you

Sylvia
                                  Sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                                    Will keep a note of that marriage for Ann Knowles, thank you

Sylvia
                                    No worries, a quick look on ancestry and it seems that Ann & Martin lived in tansley which is next door to Matlock, (and on all census martin is mistrans as Newton...lol)

and Ann seems to have lived to a ripe old age too 87 on 1891 i think it was.
                                    Julie

Comment

Ooo thanks, am off to have a look

Sylvia
                                      Sylvia

Comment

Lucys birth was on the 19th march 1812 and bapt on the 29th march 1812

daughter of Peter/Hannah Knowles (info from familysearch)

this is a SUBMITTED entry. (I would be wary of it until I had seen the Parish Register) Though I do realise this is difficult for you to say the least.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X