if someone's really bored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if someone's really bored.

im trying to locate the death of my great great grandmother, jane anne gill.
    she was born in 1860/1 in towlaw, durham to francis gill and jane powton.
    she married simon coates in 1880. he died in 1941, and while trawling for his death i was keeping an eye out for jane. but stopped at 1941, because i was using a friends log on, and she ended up cancelling her sub for ancestry.

i know jane ann coates died in between 1940-1953. she died before my gran's wedding in 1953, but gran cant remember how old she was when jane died. she remembers her putting on her corsets back to front, so im guessing jane died around 1945,around my grans 12th birthday. my grans memories of her dont seem like they are the memories of an adult, so i think jane died when gran was reasonably young.

jane died 1940-1953, district should be durham western. i checked out the durham county council website, but they dont have 20th century deaths yet.
    if someone could find the ref, or even knock off some years, id be grateful.
    and yes i hear the groans, looking for jane coates!! :o
    Last edited by kylejustin; 03-07-09, 10:44.

There is a Jane Coates death reg(age 81) ............ 3rd Qtr 1940 Durham W ref; 10a/479

Comment

thank you alan, ill check it out.

Comment

While looking for my relatives (Stephenson) in Tow Law I saw that they lived in "The Huts" and chanced to look up the following which I know you will find interesting, as they were your families close neighbours, on the up or what.

The link below after your family in 1861 is to the Tow Law 'history society" who have a grand site of interest to anyone with mining or steel making or early railway.

Read the article from J.W Fawcett. (Tow Law the in depth story)

Piece: RG9/3728 Place: Wolsingham -Co. Durham Enumeration District: 9
        Civil Parish: Wolsingham Ecclesiastical Parish: Thornley
        Folio: 42 Page: 35 Schedule: 167
        Address: Browns Houses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
        GILL Francis Head M M 43 Coal Miner/wesleyan Lcl Prechr Yorkshire - Thirsk
        GILL Jane Wife M F 39 Yorkshire - Knayton
        GILL Thomas Son U M 20 Coal Miner Yorkshire - Knayton
        GILL Robert Son - M 18 Coal Miner Yorkshire - Kirby Knowle
        GILL Mary Jane Dau - F 15 Co. Durham - Ferry Hill
        GILL Francis Son - M 12 Coal Miner Co. Durham - Cornforth
        GILL Esther E Dau - F 10 Scholar Co. Durham - Shildon
        GILL Charlotte Dau - F 6 Scholar Co. Durham - Witton Park
        GILL John Son - M 3 Co. Durham - Witton Park
        GILL Jane Ann Dau - F 10m Co. Durham - Tow Law

Tow Law History Society Web Site
        Last edited by Southwick; 29-06-09, 10:14.

Comment

thank you southwick, that information on towlaw is fascinating. keeping me reading it, ill probably be done in a day or so!!

i was at grans yesterday, and she said that jane anne gill died after 1941. her husband simon died in 1941, and jane moved from that house a few years later, to a daughter's house. unfortunately, gran doesnt remember which aunt it was, or the general location, other than bishop auckland. she says she stopped visiting her gran around about 11 or 12. so, c.1945, because she got bored at her grans. is anyone able to check out 1945/6 for me?

Comment

I looked in 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948 and was ready to give up but found this one
            Jane A Coates age 87
            District Durham. W.
            Year: 1948
            Quarter: A/M/J
            VOL: 1A
            PAGE: 637
            GWEN

Comment

omg, thank you so much gwen!! that looks very good!! yay, i finally can order the cert. thank you so much! such a relief now!

Comment

I can hear the screams with delight LOL glad I could help. Thats what this site is about I've had lots of help from peeps on here so glad I can return the favour.
                GWEN

Comment

oh me too. i feel really bad when i get some great help on here, and i cant give the same help. but when the opportunity comes to help someone else, im happy if i can. this is such a great hobby, and we all know how hard it is sometimes, so to be able to help someone find that elusive bit of info is just magic. and my gran will be pleased as well, as she knew she died when she was a teen, but was clueless to the year. she told me yesterday that when your a teen you 'dont pay attention to anything' and smiled at me. then mum laughed, they were partly referring to me i think!! :D

Comment

Working...
                  X