I'm going to cry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to cry...

from sheer frustration soon, can someone please try looking for me.

In 1841 census I have found William & Teresa Reeve with their two daughters Teresa and Catherine in Leamington Priors - HO107 piece 1135 book 10 folio 7 page 45 (I haven't used Ancestry for a while, how do you search with a reference now?) BUT, whatever I try I cannot find them on any other census

Catherine was born in 1840, marries in 1864 in St Martins, London and dies in Sussex in 1909. In her death notice it says that her parents are as above, of Pauntley Court, Glos. and Leamington.

I just can't find them :(
    Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

For future reference, if you want to search with a reference you need to use the old search facility on Ancestry. Click on the search tab and on the pink bar that runs along the top of the screen you will see Old Search at the right hand side. Click on that and you will be taken to the old method - which is far superior to the new method!

I'll have a look and see if I can see anything.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much for that Elaine, yes it is MUCH better, I don't know why they changed it
      Janet ;)

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

You say Catherine marries in 1861 (oops edit - 1864) - I presume this was with the surname Reeve - can't see her in freeBMD.

After her marriage, what did she give as place of birth on the census.
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 27-06-09, 15:44. Reason: edit
        Elaine

Comment

She marries Henry Clerke Collison, her forename is spelled Catharine - that's probably why you can't find her. 3/4 1864 St Martins

By 1901 she's changed her name to Katharine and says born Leamington

1891 - Catharine b Cheltenham, Glos

1881 - can't find them (son at school in Margate) poss in South Africa or just hiding! Looks like daughter is at school in Essex.

1871 - Katharine b Leamington
          Janet ;)

Comment

Found a possible death for William Reeve

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
            The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Tuesday, March 30, 1852; Issue 26602.
            On the 21st inst (March) at Leamington, Mr William Reeve bookseller.

So where is he in the 1851 census!
            Elaine

Comment

Ooh, that looks like him Elaine, I thought that it said bookseller in 1841.

Where did you find that info please?
              Janet ;)

Comment

Yes, his occupation in 1841 was bookseller.

Found it in the 19th Century British Library Newspaper collection.
                Elaine

Comment

Death registration
                  Deaths Mar 1852
                  Reeve William
                  Warwick 6d 280

I see there is also a death registration for Teresa
                  Deaths Dec 1841
                  REEVE Teresa
                  Warwick 16 386

- but is this the mother or daughter - or not connected at all!
                  Elaine

Comment

I wonder if this is William's will?

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

I'm really struggling to find any of them on the census so just grabbing at anything else I can find which might give a clue!
                    Elaine

Comment

I have just downloaded that and it looks like it is the right one, I can see mention of a daughter Katharine and the wife's name could possibly be Teresa but it is so difficult to read.

Are you any good with old writing Elaine?
                      Janet ;)

Comment

I've done a couple - I'm not very good but I'll give it a go!
                        I'll pm you my email address.
                        Elaine

Comment

I can't find them either!

I've found daughter Teresa's baptism on the IGI - it does say daug of Gulielmi Reeve and Teresa Healy. The same couple also had another daug - Helena = b 4 Apr 1840 and baptised 8 Apr 1840.

I think this could be 'your' Catherine. This I think is her birth on freebmd - Catherine Ellen Reeve, Q2, 1840, Warwick - 16 523

If I'm correct, it looks like they decided to change her name inbetween her baptism and birth reg!

Oh and I looked for a marriage for Teresa Healy and found she married a William Reeve - 08 May 1837, Broadway, Worcester.

Sorry if you've already got this. Just clutching at straws trying to find you something!

Helen x

Comment

Thank you for trying to help Helen. Yes I had found those, I think the Helena bit must have something to do with the Roman Catholicism, as you could see William's name had been RCed too
                            Janet ;)

Comment

HO107; Piece: 2072; Folio: 316; Page: 18
                              - Ancestry.co.uk

transcribed as:
                              William Berce 37
                              Theresa Berce 34
                              Katharine Berce 10

Elaine

Comment

I give up - cannot see anything in 1861 and nothing for Teresa after 1851.
                                Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine, for your help with the census and especially with deciphering, and indeed finding, the will.

I have spent a large part of the day trying to find Teresa & Catherine on the 1861 census but no matter what combination I try they still remain elusive. Oh well, you can't have everything.
                                  Janet ;)

Comment

Working...
                                  X