X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless routers

I know nothing about them, but it seems i need one

I have a computer & 2 laptops......My landline is BT and my Internet is Orange.

What does it mean by Cable Or Modem
    Also what is WiFi & how will i know if i have it

Many thanks
    Julie passed away 5th November 2012.

A 'Router' is connected to your existing Internet modem or cable box.
    it allows multiple PCs to then be plugged into it and sahre that connection (normally 4 sockets).
    WiFi is 'Wireless connection'
    So if a Router is WiFi, any PC or Laptop with a Wireless card in it can access the router without the need to be directly connected to it by a cable.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

4 steps to set up your home wireless network

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Julie, if its any help I just bought a Netgear from ASDL24 online. It was recommended by the forum on my talktalk isp. The one I asked for was the DG834Gv4 Wireless-G ADSL2+ 4 port router but they upgrade it free of charge to a DG934GT. It was ordered at 4 p.m yesterday, came today at 10 am and was up and running in about 10 minutes.

If you have a BT line, not cable - then you need an ADSL one (apparently) same as I had to get. The one I got is a router and modem in one.

Comment

Thanks Trevor....Will look at that when i get it

Heather...was looking at those but they are expensive.
          Julie passed away 5th November 2012.

Comment

Hi, I got mine from that site - ASDL24 - I think it was £48?

Comment

Working...
            X