Confirm his Occupation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm his Occupation please

I got this cert today which was supposed to be despatched the 30th so well pleased but also puzzled am I reading it right the Husbands Occuption was a Diver ????

UPDATE TODAY 29th Sep

have since got the sons Marriage but of course says father deceased so no help there

Son Charles George Mack never did find his Brith reg but on his death in
    1992 says Birth 23 Jun 1907
    Last edited by Guest; 29-09-13, 13:38. Reason: adding info

It certainly looks like 'diver'. Was he in the Navy? Or perhaps the original register entry was a slip of the pen for 'driver'?

Somerset Sal
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

i agree with sal.

Comment

thanks for your replies
        I only just found out his name as according to the 1911 census his wife was a widow and had been married 7 years so am now trying to find his birth or death ,so was wondering if he had died at sea diving maybe ?? whether the death may not be registered or on the overseas ones ?
        How exciting .

Comment

shouldn't be too hard should it val? the name doesnt sound very common.

Comment

you dont know my lot LOL
            For instance she was born Miriam Rebecaa Guttentag her father was naturalised and the surname changed to Rose although the family chose to use whichever name suited them at the time ? she is buried under the name Minnie Macks etc etc etc
            She has listed her son as female on the 1911 census ?? surely she knew the difference ?? and funny thing is she died in The same Workhouse my Father was born in ?
            I have been searching for her marriage for weeks thats why I was so pleased to find her death as I now know his name ??? I hope
            Just found the sons death I think in Worthing.

Comment

they're jewish arnt they val? haha, well i think you might have more luck with the husband.

Comment

how did you guess ???
                No luck with the huband at all nothing unless he was really Charles Frederick Mack and not Charles George ???

Comment

charles frederick?

Comment

well according to her death cert he was Charles George Mack and he must have died about 1908 as the son was born in 1907 and she is a widow on the 1911 census the only death I can find for a Charles Mack is a Charles Frederick??
                    I really thought as I had his name this would be easy now ? not so

Comment

did you check the overseas index on findmypast?

Comment

no not yet suppose you could be right ? off I go thanks

Comment

i havnt found any marriages for charles macs/max/maks/macks/ma*s that seem to fit. i havnt seen any likely deaths either.

Comment

I'm about to give up for now nothing on overseas deaths either ??
                            Thanks for helping

Comment

nudged up

this is it

Comment

nudged up

Comment

Hi,

This is a bit of a wild guess but on the certificate his name is Macks apparently but his father's name is written as Mack. Because there is a Jewish connection, could the name Macks actually be MARKS (have to admit it IS very clearly written). Also, what about Synagogue records - would that be appropriate in his case?

Sue

Comment

tried all that thanks Sue he does not want to be found, his Son calls himself Mack on his marriage and states father as Mack too, I am hoping his family might know something, thanks for looking.

Comment

I suppose Mack sounds more anglicised than Marks or Marx, depending on what era we're talking about . (I'm thinking 1905 onwards and hostile feelings towards anyone with a name sounding to have Germanic origins.)

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay what I dont understand is have found a baptism for a Charles George mack in 1858 and was thinking that could be him? but he does not appear anywhere else after his bap?

Comment

Working...
                                        X