Couple Marrying Twice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Marrying Twice??

My ancestor Edward Brooke married Mary Bolton 12 August 1711 at St Peter, Droitwich. A week later Edward Brooke married Mary Bolton 19 August 1711 at St Andrew, Droitwich.

There's only one Edward and Mary Brooke couple baptising children in Droitwich, thereafter, so I'm thinking that they married twice, a week apart, but why would they do that?? Members of the Brooke family, both afterwards and before, were baptised in both St Peter and St Andrew parishes.

Where did you find the information? It's noticeable that the two dates are exactly a week apart. Could be that the transcriber's got mixed up and they're the dates when two of the banns were called, not the date of marriage. If the bride and groom lived in different parishes, they'd be called in both parishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      Where did you find the information? It's noticeable that the two dates are exactly a week apart. Could be that the transcriber's got mixed up and they're the dates when two of the banns were called, not the date of marriage. If the bride and groom lived in different parishes, they'd be called in both parishes.
      I got the St Peter marriage from a microfiche of transcriptions of the St Peter de Witton parish registers (bought from the BMSGH society). It also shows up on the IGI but (confusingly) with a year of 1710 instead of 1711.

I got the St Andrew marriage from the IGI (it's an extracted record).

Comment

I've found mistakes like that on family history society transcriptions before. I think you're going to have to check out the PRs yourself, to be sure of the situation. If you're nowhere near Worcs you can order the microfilms from your nearest LDS centre. Or perhaps some kind soul in the area will offer to do a look-up for you.

Comment

I've found mistakes like that on family history society transcriptions before. I think you're going to have to check out the PRs yourself, to be sure of the situation. If you're nowhere near Worcs you can order the microfilms from your nearest LDS centre. Or perhaps some kind soul in the area will offer to do a look-up for you.
          I think you're right. Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if anyone out there would kindly do a look-up of this marriage for me. :o

I'd do it myself, but I live in Australia and my nearest LDS centre is extremely difficult to reach by public transport.

Comment

Try sending a PM to GeordieGirl, who lives in the area. Not sure how often she goes to the Record Office, though.

Comment

Try sending a PM to GeordieGirl, who lives in the area. Not sure how often she goes to the Record Office, though.
              Will do. And thank you.

Comment

If you have a look at the Worcestershire page in the wiki, scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you will see the names of members who have offered to do lookups.

Worcestershire - Family Tree Forum
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  If you have a look at the Worcestershire page in the wiki, scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you will see the names of members who have offered to do lookups.

Worcestershire - Family Tree Forum
                  Thank you.

Comment

The London Family History Centre catalogue shows the films for marriages at that time for both St Andrews and St Peters in stock, so if anyone is going to Kensington shortly they may be able to help with a look up.

I'm afraid it will probably be a couple of months before I get there again.

Carol

Comment

Tanya has been in touch with me and I'll go to the Worcester History Centre asap.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Dual Marriages

Could it be that they were married in both Roman Catholic and Protestant churches? Until 1823, RC marriages were not recognised so the participants had to marry in protestant church. After 1823, catholic marraiges were recognised. I have dual marriages in my family, also in Worcestershire - intial marriage in RC church (Chaddesley Corbett) followed by ceremony a day later in Kiddermionster.

Just a thought

Ayse

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
                          Could it be that they were married in both Roman Catholic and Protestant churches? Until 1823, RC marriages were not recognised so the participants had to marry in protestant church. After 1823, catholic marraiges were recognised. I have dual marriages in my family, also in Worcestershire - intial marriage in RC church (Chaddesley Corbett) followed by ceremony a day later in Kiddermionster.

Just a thought

Ayse
                          Thanks for the idea.

I just checked and, unfortunately, both of the churches are Anglican, so it looks like it was likely a mistake by the transcribers. Maybe they did mix up the marriage with the banns. If so, that at least gives me a clue as to the parish of origin of the bride. I've found a likely family that were baptising children just after the most likely time she was born. I just need to find her baptism now. :D

Comment

I have come across more than one marriage with duplicate IGI records on different dates and in different locations. In each case the bride and groom had the banns read in their "home" church.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                              I have come across more than one marriage with duplicate IGI records on different dates and in different locations. In each case the bride and groom had the banns read in their "home" church.
                              Good to know, thank you.

Comment

I have seen, though in an earlier period, marriages recorded in several different churches. There was no means of telling where the ceremony actually took place.

Please bear in mind that banns were not generally recorded until the introduction of Hardwick's Act, over forty years after this entry.
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                  I have seen, though in an earlier period, marriages recorded in several different churches. There was no means of telling where the ceremony actually took place.

Please bear in mind that banns were not generally recorded until the introduction of Hardwick's Act, over forty years after this entry.
                                  I had no idea. :o

If that's the case, I guess I'll just to record both marriages, then.

Comment

Yes, I have similar - an over-zealous parson or curate recording the marriage several times.

It seemed to happen if the ceremony took place at a daughter chapel or a chapel of ease - the parson reported it in the chapel record, then informed the daughter church, who also recorded it, then passed it up to the mother church, who again recorded it. There are marginal notes which say where it was performed but these do not appear on IGI transcriptions.

Of course, having the same marriage reported twice, three, four times can also lead to errors in the date transcription and the 12th becomes the 21st or the 22nd!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Yes, I have similar - an over-zealous parson or curate recording the marriage several times.

It seemed to happen if the ceremony took place at a daughter chapel or a chapel of ease - the parson reported it in the chapel record, then informed the daughter church, who also recorded it, then passed it up to the mother church, who again recorded it. There are marginal notes which say where it was performed but these do not appear on IGI transcriptions.

Of course, having the same marriage reported twice, three, four times can also lead to errors in the date transcription and the 12th becomes the 21st or the 22nd!

OC
                                      So, some marriages were reported too many times, whilst others were reported not at all. :D

Comment

Not sure of my ground at all with English marriages but I've got a fair few similar things in my Scottish trees where the marriage gets recorded in two different parishes with a week or maybe a fortnight between them. Usually this was because the bride had married out of her own parish and her own minister would then record the event in his parish register once he got the details. There's usually a note in the margin that the event took place in the othe parish or sometimes the entry reads "x" of this parish married "y" of "z" parish in "z" parish with the date.

Comment

Working...
                                        X