Death Duty Index - Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Duty Index - Confused

Having found an ancestors name on the Death Duty index on FMP I went o the National Archives, hoping to be able to download more information.

I think it should be in IR 26, but from there I am completely bewildered. I certainly don't want to pay for something that isn't relevant, but haven't a clue how to work it all out!

If someone else has done this before, could they tell me how to go about it please?

Details from the index are as follows:

Jones John(name of deceased) Chester(Residence) 24 Feb 1892(Date of Death) M Jones(Executer or Administrator) Chester(Registry) 4866(No of affidavit) w(will or admon) 2007(Will or admon folio) tran? 6/1/190?(Succesion or account folio)

Couldn't find a will on the excellent Chester site. Incidentally, he was a solicitor living in Wrexham and I thought he died at home in Wrexham.

Would really appreciate any help with this as "John Joneses" are hard to track down!

The National Archives don't hold any Wills after 1858 The National Archives | Getting started | Family History | Wills

That also gives you a link and addresses to get a copy. Hope this helps!
    Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue. I may be wrong, but I thought the index was for the Register and there was more information in the Register. At the moment I have the index entry. This is what it says on FMP

Firstly, if you find an entry in this online index, you may obtain a copy of the entry from the Death Duty Register. The information in the Death Duty Register gives different information to a will or administration and contains information not found elsewhere.
      The registers were created by the office responsible for collecting taxes on personal estates.
      Details of what the estate was actually worth after debts and expenses and what the beneficiaries received can be recorded.
      In addition to the last address and occupation of the deceased, they can give the date of the will, the names, addresses and occupations of the executors, and details of estates, legacies, and trustees.
      They may also give the date of death and information about beneficiaries and family relationships.
      The registers could be annotated for many years after the first entry and therefore, can include information such as dates of death of spouse; dates of death or marriage of beneficiaries and grandchildren and further residential addresses.

As a Probate search didn't turn up a will, I was hoping to find more family info this way.

Comment

The Death Duty registers at Kew aren't online - you would have to go there or get someone to go for you.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

OK I think I have worked it out now.

Annswabey you are right, but they seem to have introduced a new system where they will copy them for you and then send digitally. I have requested an estimate for that. Fingers crossed Although the reference is for about 20 folios you can describe exactly what you want copied and the reference on the index is the folio number.

Comment

That sounds interesting - let us know what they quote!
            Sue

Comment

There's something wrong there - if it says "w" in the "will or admon" column, there must be a will. Where did you do a search? In the National Probate Calendar, or at York?

Comment

Hadn't realised that there was a link on fmp - never looked at it. Sorry!
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I don't think there is, is there?

Comment

I didn't check but I assumed that was what Trina meant - perhaps not!

Comment

There isn't a link to the NA from FMP, but I googled and found someone on here had explained how to go about it - last year I think.
                      I didn't do my own search for the will - used the form on the Court Service page where they look for 4 years past the death. They found the others, but I wasn't too suprised that a John Jones didn't come up! The researcher probably said "Oh No!!!" and gave up!
                      I have had an email from NA and it will take up to 10 days to get an estimate. I suppose they have to find the document and see how much would need copying.

Comment

Their estimates can be quite expensive. It might be worth doing a search yourself if you're anywhere near a probate registry or a Records Office that has the national probate calendar. You could also try e-mailing Cheshire RO.

Comment

Mary, you are right - I wouldn't be entirely convinced that a thorough search had been done unless I did it myself LOL! I am convinced there was a will - he was a reasonably succesful solicitor, JP and various other things. The problem is in the name - I think "officials" just give up when they hear that - especially in and around Wales.
                          I'd like this information as well though - it may tell me more than the will could, though I'd dearly like that as well.
                          It could cost me up to £50 plus my time to go to the Natioonal Archives. If I can identify more people to look up at the same time it may be worth it, but I'll see what their estimate is first.

Comment

Working...
                          X