Benjamin Southwood marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin Southwood marriage

Benjamin SOUTHWOOD was a witness on my 2x gt grandparents (William BOWN/ Caroline Moss) marriage at Holy Trinity Paddington in 1856. In 1861 Benjamin is living in Paddington in the parish of Holy Trinity with his wife Sarah b1826 Stroud, Glos. William Bown was born in the Stroud area so I've been trying to find a connection. The only marriage for a Benjamin Southwood in the right time frame is in Worcester 1847 qtr 3 and 4 (thats another query!) one of the possible brides is a Hannah BOWN (no Sarah) Now William did have a sister named Hannah b 1826 so it does seem rather a coincidence but why would she call herself Sarah on the census especially as she had a sister named Sarah
    I think I'll probably have to send for the certificate to satisfy my curiosity but can anyone find any alternative scenarios before I do?
    Sue

Sue, have you found Benjamin in 1851. I canĀ“t see him at the moment!
    Elaine

Comment

First wife?

Deaths Mar 1855
      Southwood Hannah Calne 5a 61

Wrong area, though.

Comment

Maybe not - just checked, and Calne's about 30 miles from Stroud.

Comment

I finally found Benjamin, Hannah and Sarah on FMP 1851 census (luckily they have Oxfordshire where the son was born) in Banbury.

RG number: HO107
          Piece: 1734
          Folio: 477
          Page: 15

Transcribed as "Soulter Wood"!!

Ages 27, 25 and 1. Benjamin was a labourer. Hannah was born in Stroud Gloucester. Benjamin born Hill Moulton?? Wilts. Sarah born Newbury Berks.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well done Elizabeth ... and I looked on there! :o
            Ancestry has the family transcribed as Watwood!
            Elaine

Comment

Here is the baptism for the youngest child on the 1861 census:

THOMAS EDWARD SOUTHWOOD
              15 MAR 1861 Holy Trinity, Paddington, London, England+
              BENJAMIN SOUTHWOOD Mother: ANNA
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                First wife?

Deaths Mar 1855
                Southwood Hannah Calne 5a 61

Wrong area, though.
                There are two Hannah Southwoods on the 1851 census, living in Hillmarton which comes under the Calne registration district. It looks as if one of them died before 1861 (was married to John Southwood).
                Elaine

Comment

Baptism for Annie Southwood:

15 MAR 1861 Holy Trinity, Paddington, London, England
                  Parents Benjamin and Anna Southwood

Both Annie and Thomas were christened together! Edit - and John too!
                  Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 25-06-09, 20:41.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

3 more followed:

James bapt 5 Feb 1862
                    Ellen and Emma 30 Nov 1864
                    All Holy Trinity Paddington
                    All Benjamin and Hannah

The enumerator must have got her name wrong (Hannah, that is!)
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Wow, you have been busy while I've been uploading PoWs to the Wiki!

You've got way ahead of me - so we're now saying that the Sarah in 1861 was an enumerator's error and she should have been Hannah?
                      I should have found all this, thank you everyone!

I think I'll still send for the cert though lol!

Edit - I've just reread all your posts this family certainly got about didn't they - Worcester, Banbury, Newbury, Paddington....
                      Last edited by Sue from Southend; 25-06-09, 20:56.
                      Sue

Comment

Benjamin died in Mar 1876

SOUTHWOOD Benjamin 50 Kensington 1a 48

Hannah died in Mar 1870:
                        Southwood Hannah 43 Kensington 1a 6

1871 Census:
                        Hannah already dead
                        Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 47; Folio: 14; Page: 19; GSU roll: 824568.
                        With 7 children.

What happened to them all in 1876 when Benjamin died? The youngest Mary was only 3 in 1871
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

1871 Benjamin and 7 children!
                          RG10; Piece: 47; Folio: 14; Page: 19
                          Elaine

Comment

Goodness, they were well hidden in 1851! No wonder I couldn't find them - apart from the surname mistranscription, I'd been looking for Sarah born c. 1850 in Newbury, Berks, and it's transcribed as Newbary, Bucks...

Comment

1881:

Here are two of them: Mary and Annie
                              wih Charles Perriman
                              Servants (at top of next page)
                              But look at top of page where Charles Perriman is:
                              Southwood

Previous page : Henry Southwood Grocer born Marylebone aged 38 and family

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 68; Folio: 32; Page: 40; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341015.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Just returned from seeing Jamie Murray win his mixed doubles match - very exciting!

1901 Thomas Southwood Boatswain
                                Gibraltar - Navy
                                Class: RG13; Piece: 5328; Folio: 62; Page: 3
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you all again for your hard work! Isn't sad how so many of these families were left without one or both parents. William Bown's wife Caroline also died in 1870 leaving him with 5 children which probably explains why some of the Southwood children didn't go to him...
                                  Sue

Comment

Working...
                                  X