Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhoda WESTON / (poss WESSON?) b c 1778 Leics: 1841 / 1851?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoda WESTON / (poss WESSON?) b c 1778 Leics: 1841 / 1851?

Can anyone find her (probably in Leics) in 1841 &/or 1851?

She should be Single, and aged about 62 (1841) / 72 (1851), because she's a spinster at her death in April 1864, aged 85 (I've just received the cert, and the notifier was Elizabeth BALL, who's an 1861 next-door neighbour, which I feel makes my assumption - see next para - reasonable). In 1861 she's a "W", and 82.

I've tried all sorts of tricks to winkle her out - including looking all the way through North Kilworth (where she is in 1861, pretending to be Rhoda BENNETT, with her daughter & family). I'd homed in on her daughter, Martha's, IGI baptism record:
    b 4 Jun 1803 [C034613] m = RHODE WESTON
    and have a copy of that Register page.

I'm part way through Arnesby, now. I think that's what "Hamsby"/"Harnsby" in 1861 probably means.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

There's a Rhoda Wheston (transcribed as Whiston by Ancestry), aged 60, woollen hosiery m., living alone in Wigston Magna in 1841.

Comment

Ooh... That sounds more promising. Thank you.

The trouble is that there is another Rhoda WESTON who's about ten years younger - but she marries.

I'll go and have a look in a mo... but I think I'd better just do the last few pages of Arnesby 1851.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-06-09, 18:09.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just had a look at Ms WHESTON.

I think her age was originally entered as 62, but "corrected" to 60 in line with 1841 roundings.

Thank you for that, Mary. I reckon I shall claim her for my tree! Wigston Magna is only down (or up!) the road from Arnesby.

Christine

Comment

Thank you, again, Mary!

Your 1841 hint has given me a break-through and I've found her in 1851, I reckon.
          HO107; Piece: 2090; Folio: 451; Page: 2
          as Rhond WESTON, 72, sister (unmarried) to Edward, the Head of the household.

Christine

Comment

Ah, well done, I missed that one.

Comment

On top of that, I have a likely Baptism (IGI) for Edward:
              bap 20 May 1782 Arnesby, Leicester [C034331]
              parents: Jno. WESTON & Rhoda (possibly BINDLEY, a submitted Wigston Magna marriage)

But nothing for Rhoda... better to back to my Leicester Project CD, I think!

Christine

Comment

What's on the Leicester Project CD?

Comment

If you have a look here: LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

It's a (DOS) database (we use Parallel Desktop to access it on a Mac) of a large number of Parish record transcriptions from Leicestershire.

Christine

Comment

Ah, thanks - it doesn't have any of the parishes I'm interested in.

Comment

Which ones are you after? They seem to be increasing their material (as you'd expect) over time.

Christine

Comment

I'm mostly interested in Leicester, Rothley, Quorn, Loughborough, Nailstone and Elmesthorpe. Possibly Mountsorrel, Ibstock and Earl Shilton, which I see are on the list, although I think most of my events were registered in the nearby villages.

Comment

Just spotted this - after realising that Edward WESTON, Rhoda's brother, was a JP and Mayor of Leicester in 1845:
                          Leicester City Council - Roll of Mayors

...Can't help thinking that there's a mismatch for Rhoda as single mum in this family? But maybe the family was more compassionate than one might expect.

Christine

Comment

That does seem odd. You'd think they'd have married her off to somebody in a hurry.

Comment

Or Cast Her Off!

But the age & PoB combined with uncommon name seems compelling.

I just can't find others. Perhaps I'd better get a copy of Edward's Will.

Christine

Comment

Yes, good idea.

Comment

How easy will that be to achieve on the basis of this info?
                                  His will with a codicil was proved at Leic. 16 November 1867 on the oaths of William Billson of Leic., bank cashier, and John Baines of Leic., hosier, the executors. Effects under £10,000
                                  http://www.leicester.gov.uk/about-le...-edward-weston

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-06-09, 22:24.

Comment

They should have it at Wigston - you could try e-mailing. They'll copy it for you at a price if they have it; otherwise, if it's not urgent, I shall be going sometime this summer, but maybe not till early September.

Otherwise you can send off to York for it on the basis of that information (I generally use Cardiff rather than York because they used to be a lot quicker, but I gather York's speeded up a lot recently).

You fill in the form here:

Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records

and send it with a cheque for £5.00.

Wills and Probate - Probate Office Details

Comment

Thank you, Mary. I should have looked in the Wiki, but was being lazy!

It isn't urgent, so I'd be grateful if you'd consider getting me a copy/image when you go: please just check that I haven't had an attack of impatience in the meantime, so you don't waste your time! I'll email them, anyway, to see what their price would be.

Christine

Comment

OK - I can transcribe it from microfiche (if it's not enormously long...), and I think I can photocopy it myself for about 50p, but last time I went I photocopied a marriage cert from fiche, and the quality was awful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X