Magazine Subscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Subscription

I am thinking about taking out an annual sub, but don't know which Mag. to take
    Practical Family History or Family History Mag. what is reccommended by others please ?

How about Family Tree Forum ??

Comment

I would suggest you buy a copy of each or just look at each mag for a couple of months.

I only buy mags if they have at least 3 articles I want, usually they aren't in depth enough for me any more.

You might also find your local library has a subscription to one of them. Mine does and you can borrow the copy for a week.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree with Nell and Alan. I hardly ever buy a magazine now and only if there is something of particular interest to me.

Far better to read the FTF mag for free and get your research info on the boards :D
        Rose

Comment

It all depends what you want from a magazine. If you are new to family History then Practical Family History/Family History Monthly/Family Tree may be the answer for you until you get to the point where the same old topics are being discussed in not very great depth. These were the magazines I used back in the 1990's and used for a while with a fledgling Family History Group. But I outgrew these mags and now have Ancestors, A National Archives Magazine which I have on subscription so it works out less to pay each month and which I find has very good in depth articles on all sorts of issues. Running a Family History Group, I like to keep up to date with issues so this one suits me best for now.

There is no best magazine and as someone has already suggested, buy each one for a couple of months and see how you get on with it. Each one has something different to offer, but I do feel that as far as I am concerned only the Ancestors Magazine has the indepth articles. But I also agree that FTF seems to have many answers in both the Wikki and in their own monthly magazine.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 25-06-09, 23:13.

Comment

Thanks everyone, trouble is I live abroad so don't have a chance to 'try out ' so to speak.
            I usually buya couple when in England ,but the last couple of times I have been over I have had trouble getting hold of any at various Newsagents I have tried.
            I'm not a beginner so perhaps I'll go with the The National Archives one.

goodyg.

Comment

There is a free online copy of Ancestors here

Ancestors Magazine

Concentrates on India - looks interesting!

Comment

Working...
              X