trying to find trial records.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to find trial records.

Ive been trying to find some information on something that happened in 1822 which resulted in a trial 5/3/1822. there was also about 15 witnesses.

Does anyone know where i can look for a newspaper reports or what papers where around in 1822 for hampshire inc isle of wight.

How i can find information about a trial held at Winchester Assizes in 1822.

Hi, have you tried the Hampshire Chronicle? Also if you google Winchester Assizes there are quite a few options to look at. Good luck
    Alison

Comment

yep ive tryed both of them im not to sure what else i can search.

Comment

What about the Hampshire/Portsmouth Telegraph? It is fully searchable on 19century British newspapers.
        Last edited by Trina; 25-06-09, 16:09.

Comment

What about TNA, they hold assize records...although they're not always continuous. When I researched a trial at about the same time (1820s), I found an almost full transcript in a local newspaper, & then a shortened version in the Times.
          ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

PS;
            If you don't have access to the Times online, post the names & I will have a look for you.
            ~ Louise ~

Comment

Ive tryed looking at goggle every sort of search ive tryed TNA loads of times and i cant seem to get anything.

Meridian i have PMd you i hope you can help.

Comment

According to the Hampshire Records Office, the surviving assize records are at TNA (but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be online):

Courts and Justice, Hampshire Archives and Local Studies

Comment

The assize records if they survive will be at Kew (TNA) but they aren't online.

There won't be a transcript of the trial. Instead there will be a list of jurors and a list of witnesses and the name of the judge plus the time of the trial (they were much shorter years ago) plus the verdict and sentence.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lambo,
                    I've searched every combination I can think of, but had no hits on the Times, sorry, hopefully you can find a more local paper.
                    ~ Louise ~

Comment

Working...
                    X