Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching forwards help!

Hi,
    Firstly, let me introduce myself, as I have just joined up.
    I am male, I live in West Berkshire and have been interested in F. Research for about two years.

Leading up to my question, Mr father, deceased in 1991, had nothing to do with his family, (either he disowned them, or vice versa) and I only ever met one brother, who is also now deceased.

I have recently found that my grandfather hung himself in 1950, and it appears his daughter might have lived with him at the time. His daughter would now probably be dead, as she was born in 1913/14, but I can find no record of a death cert., maybe she re-married. She was married at the time (Murray), and had at least one daughter, I gleaned this information via newspaper reports of my g'father's death, courtesy of Lewisham Library research dept.

What I wish is help in how to trace forward's on his daughter's line to see if there are living relatives, who may have more information.

G'father. William Henry Field 02/04/1885 - 18/07/1950
    G'mother Ellen Maud Smith c1889 - ?
    Daughter Margaret Ellen Smith (Murray) 1 Q.1914 - ?
    Son William Henry Field 24/12/1916 - 14/09/1991 (My father)
    Son Henry J Field c1920 - ?
    Son Leslie John Field 28/10/1922 - Oct 1999

They were all born around Deptford, London.

I know he lived at 116 Shardeloes Road, Brockley (Lewisham) at the time of death, he worked for the council, laterly at least as a road sweeper, and from the newspaper report which states, "I (Margaret) sent my young daughter up to father's room to ask if wanted a cup of tea" I gather that Margaret probably lived there as well, it may even have been her families house.

My question - how do I trace forwards from my grandfather to find living relatives now? Did they have electoral rolls then, and how do I access them?
    What other means is there?

Grateful for any help, thanks.

Michael Field

PS. Away to France tomorrow for a week, so if I don't respond straight away, you'll know why.
    Last edited by mafield; 25-06-09, 09:46.

Hello Michael and welcome to FTF.

There were three children with the surname Murray, mmn Smith, two girls and a boy, born in the Lewisham registration district between 1938 and 1942. These could possibly be Margaret's childen. If you got one or more of the birth certificates, it might give you something to work on.

We are not allowed to put the name of living people on this forum but if you would like more details I'll PM you.

Jane

Comment

Hi Jane

I made a "boob" in my original post. Margaret's surname would have been FIELD pre-marriage, and MURRAY after marriage - I have edited my post.
      It is her mother's maiden name which is SMITH - sorry!

I have found two children, surname MURRAY mmn FIELD, both female, one born 1939 Q2 and the other 1950 Q4.

But how do I trace their whereabouts (if they are alive) now, especially if, being female they are probably married, with different surnames.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Comment

Just had another thought - Have you got Leslie's death certificate - I wonder if his death might have been registered by a son or daughter.

Jane

Comment

Hi Jane

Thanks again for your help. Leslie is the only brother I have ever met, and knew his family in the early 1960's.
          I have no recollection of him ever speaking of other family members, sister or father (or mother), so the stigma of a suicide had it's effect, I guess.
          There was also a story (I say a story, as no proof or hard evidence has been found to date) that the grandmother ran off with a school caretaker, and had more children. More stigma!

Leslie had three children, I know of the whereabouts of one son, who informed me of his mother's death earlier this year. I had planned to visit her, but she has had dementia for two or three years, so may not have been able to tell me much. It is also difficult to just turn up after some 40 years and start asking questions!
          However, he was the youngest son, and Leslie was the youngest brother, so probably knew little, and have never disclosed any information. I did write to him (the Son) in April this year, but I have never had a reply.
          I am sure that my grandfather being a road sweeper, and having committed suicide is probably a stigma, and the family never spoke of it, so their offspring possibly do not know what happened, I didn't until more recently.

My train of thought is to try and trace the eldest sibling and her offspring, as she appeared to either live with, or have living with her, her father, and had children of her own at the time of his death, that more information may be forthcoming!

Michael
          Last edited by mafield; 25-06-09, 11:41.

Comment

At the risk of causing offence, it sounds as if "the young daughter" mentioned in the first post may have discovered grandfather. IF this did happen, it would have been extremely traumatic and any inquiries on family issues would need a very sensitive approach.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you tried the Salvation Army? They help people track down missing family members.
              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hi Jay

I realise this is a sensitive issue. Apparently, according to the newspaper reports, the young daughter could not gain access to his room, and the next door neighbour was called.
                He "broke" into the room, which had been secured with a chair behind the door knob and found WHF.
                However, it was almost 60 years ago. It is sensitive for me too, after all he was my grandfather.

I just want to find out if there are other living relatives, not just for F.R., but it would be nice to find some family!

Michael

Comment

Hi Sal,

That sounds a good idea. Do you just contact them and give all the details?

Michael

Comment

I haven't done this myself, but I've had a quick look at their website and they have a whole section on Family Tracing. Just google Salvation Army and they should be at the top of the list. Good luck!
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
                    X