Easy way transfer from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way transfer from Ancestry

I got a monthly sub to Ancestry.co.uk. Got carried away with links and info. Have 160 relatives. Just started Legacy software. Is their any easy way to get info off my tree in Ancestry and into Legacy. I spend way too much time typing info from one to the other.

Hello Kimba and Welcome to FTF.

I don't know the answer...sorry. I use Legacy but don't have a tree on Ancestry.

There's a board for family tree software. Here is the link...
    Family Tree Software - Family Tree Forum

There are a few people around who know much more about Legacy than I do, and you could perhaps pm them.

Check on the top of that board and you will see Legacy.

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

I think the only way you can do it is to download your full tree from Ancestry, which will download as a GEDCOM file. You would then open the GEDCOM file in Legacy and your information would be transferred into a new Legacy file.

You wouldn't be able to add it to the Legacy file you have already started - you would need to start afresh - so it really depends on how far you have got and whether its worth scrapping what you have already done on Legacy.

When you have all your data stored in Legacy then the best way to go is to keep that up to date with new information. If you wish to continue having a tree on Ancestry then you would export a GEDCOM file from Legacy from time to time, and upload this to Ancestry.

If you need instructions for downloading from Ancestry then just ask.
      Elaine

Comment

Instead of choosing to keep one or the other, would it be possible to merge the GEDCOM from Ancestry with the existing Legacy file? I know this is possible in other programs, but I don't know about Legacy.
        Sarah

Comment

I'm sure it would be Cloggie - but if Kimba has her full tree on Ancestry and has just been copying it across to Legacy, there would be no benefit.

If there information in the current Legacy file, which is not included in the Ancestry tree, then a GEDCOM download from Ancestry and a merge into the existing Legacy file would be the best way to go.
          Elaine

Comment

Yes, I meant in case she has already entered new data in the Legacy program that isn't in her Ancestry tree.
            I agree that if there is no additional data in the current Legacy file, importing the GEDCOM from Ancestry would be the best way to go.
            Sarah

Comment

Hi
              open ancestry, click on family trees tab and open your tree
              click on overview tab
              click on tools / manage my tree
              then management tools / export tree then wait while GEDCOM processes
              then click download "your tree" in GEDCOM file format then save file to your computer

open Legacy then and File import from GEDCOM

hope that helps

Mike
              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
              http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks all

Thank you all for your help especially Mike. I found the link and will start a new tree. I started on Ancestry after using legacy some time back but crashed computer before backing up, so wanted to have online info as well. All my info is on Ancestry so it will be easier to download GEDCOM and start again.

Comment

Working...
                X