Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking perfection?!

Hi Folks

Would anyone know how I could view what would be commonly described as a good 'best or common practice' GED / FTM database (preferably UK orientated) ?

I know that sounds very odd, I know everyone has their own way of doing things and its all very subjective but it would help me greatly. As I head into trying to sort out my mass of data again I want to start off with right protocols.

By which I mean for instance, how best to record name, house n street address, location , occupation and other associated titbits for each person for each census. Fudge 1 or 2 enteries to suit or record each seperately each time. How to put newspaper clippings, miltary anecdotes , photo's, passenger list enteries etc into the FTM system so they're not disparate gobbits of information flotsam but cohesive logical and readily read and understood by me, mother in law and FTM for reporting.

Equally I have a lady (who shall remain nameless!) with 3 known partners and 3 different known husbands (not all at same time!) and clocking her substantial movements is getting hard to present well.

Sorry - another long post. But the '?' comes after the shortest sentence !

Cheers
    J

Am I right in saying this is for FTM 2009, as opposed to FTM 2006.
    Although the principles are the same the layout is very different so I think you would need to see a 2009 example to follow it.

Having said that I think you will find we all record information in different ways, to suit ourselves. There is no definitive right or wrong way although there are some practices that it is recommend you observe - to me one of the most important is recording sources!
    Elaine

Comment

Yep FTM 2009.

Yep noted the subjectivity of exercise. I guess thats why these forums are kept busy.

Perhaps we need a grand unified universal theory of GED. Anyone got Einstein in their tree???

J

Comment

Working...
      X