18th century argyll census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18th century argyll census

the dukes of argyll were fond of censuses assessing the dukedom in the 18th century. the census for argyll in 1716, 1779, and 1799 are supposed to have survived. apart from the isle of tiree, which is of no help, i cant find any online census, nor locate where to find it. most posts say that the census are available from the lds, but im lost. nothing recent concerns these census, and it could really help, as iona has no parish records at all before 1780, and the only ones to survive are from the 1820's.

Have you tried the National Archive of Scotland, it sounds just like the sort of document they would preserve. Try an online enquiry to them, even if they don't have them they may have a note of where they are kept.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

that's a very good idea herky. thank you for that suggestion. i will try them now. :D

Comment

The LDS have one of them on microfilm:

Title film notes ('Inhabitants of the Argyll estate, 1779 ')

Comment

thanx for that mary. unfortunately i cant see which centre is closest to me. i used to have one in the next town, but couldnt use it coz of school.
          now they all seem to be over in the north west of victoria.

Comment

Not sure where you are, but this is the list of centres in Victoria:

Comment

the closest one seems to be braeside. and its still half an hour away, maybe 40 mins. traffic isnt as bad as they say it is.

Comment

Working...
              X