Need help with the Baird family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with the Baird family

I'm looking for any information about Henry Samuel Baird (born in 1763 in Dublin Ireland) and his wife Ann Burnside (1766 in Dublin) and married 1788 in Ireland. He might also have gone by the name Thomas. They had 4 children all born in Dublin. Names are Robert - 01 Sept 1789
    Thomas James - 30 April 1794
    Eliza Ellenor - 17 May 1797
    Henry Samuel - 16 May 1800
    I have no information on either sets of their parents, which I would really like to track down.
    Thanks for any help
    Charlotte Russell
    aka Wawarussell

you'd be very lucky if you could trace them backwards at all. irish research is notoriously difficult. most records dont exist for the early 1800's, but some areas have them from the mid 1700's. im not sure about dublin though.

Comment

Hi,
      Is this the Henry Samuel Baird or Beard on the IGI?
      It is a submitted record (so it may not be accurate) but it has his death as 8 May 1847 in Green Bay, Brown, Wisconsin.
      I don't know much about US records but if you could find out more from the American side it may give you some clues.
      Sorry but I can't think of anything else at present.
      Good luck.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have you looked here, at all? (The new beta records search)
        FamilySearch Record Search

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

i think charlotte is in canada, so that igi entry may be correct.

Comment

I'm one of these people who have only been researching for 7 months and don't know what IGI is. It does sound like it's the same person though
            Charlotte
            USA

Comment

Hi Christine,
              I did look at this site. I have the childrens names, birth dates and spouses and still come up with nothing.

Comment

Ahhhh!

The I(nternational) G(enealogical) I(ndex) is set up by the Latter Day Saints in Utah, in furtherance of their quest to convert all the world (retrospectively, as well) to Mormonism. In order to achieve that, they are interested mainly in birth/baptism events and in marriages. FamilySearch.org is a site which furthers that, but is - as a side effect - extremely useful to genealogists. But you always have to remember that their purpose and yours may not be the same, so records have very variable reliability from a genealogist's perspective: parish register transcriptions are generally pretty reliable (but subject to the same risks in transcription as any other transcribed record), while submissions are worth noting, but not basically reliable. Some submissions are dead-on, but others are fantasy with no respect for plausibility or arithmetic.

I recommend that you have a look in the FTF Wiki, to see what is said there about online and other research resources. There are sections about lots of specific topics - including Ireland.

And hold onto the fact that the Hugh Wallis web pages are useful as a way to search the IGI, but they haven't been updated for some time,so are not complete.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I hate to appear dumb, but what are the Hugh Wallis web pages

Charlotte

Comment

Originally posted by wawarussell View Post
                    They are a useful geographical index which was last updated some years ago which link places and events (baps. and marriages) to specific Batch Numbers of "extracted" records in the IGI.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,
                      Again I hate to appear dumb, but how do I access the Hugh Wallis web site and IGI?
                      Charlotte

Comment

As Christine has said above, there is lots of useful information in FTF's Wiki - see the links at the top of this page (click on "The Wiki").

Within the Wiki you'll find this page: Online Research - Family Tree Forum. If you scroll down, you'll find information on searching the IGI (under "Hatches, Matches and Dispatches". The IGI itself can be found here: FamilySearch - International Genealogical Index

Hugh Wallis is mentioned on the page IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America - Family Tree Forum
                        His site can be found at: Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

This will take you to the Ireland pages in the Wiki: Ireland - Family Tree Forum
                        From there you can click on Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, and then on the counties you're interested in for more information and links.
                        But as kylejustin has said, you're lucky to have gotten back as far as you have with your Irish research. There are not many earlier records available.
                        Last edited by Cloggie; 25-06-09, 06:29.
                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by wawarussell View Post

Charlotte
                          They allow you to search a set of records using only a surname. The IGI doesn't allow surnames only without batch numbers.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I didn't know the Wiki was even on the home page. I have quite a few family members from Ireland, so maybe I'll have more success finding them with all the helpful suggestions you all have made
                            Thanks again,
                            Charlotte

Comment

Working...
                            X