Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

security for new laptop...any recommendations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security for new laptop...any recommendations ?

Hi...just bought a new Dell "STUDIO" laptop....I don`t want Norton Security...can anyone recommend a good free security programme please....and also if anyone has this model of laptop I could do with 2 pointers..
    how do we "switch users" ?
    how do I switch on/use the webcam ?....don`t laugh...I`m pretty illiterate on computers...can`t find nothing in the user guide about webcam.......cheers...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

I am still using norton as its was free with my computer.this site has a lot of freeware so it might be worth having a look
    FileHippo.com - Download Free Software.
    Kaspersky is an other security system if you search around you can get it for free. i believe Barclays on line banking has it free for a year

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

thanks alan......allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

I have got a new laptop today which had Norton too, I uninstalled it and put on AVG free
        www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

to switch user on mine you go to start bottom left hand corner,then to the bottom right is a sort of circle then a padlock then an arrow cick on the arrow and one of the options in there is to switch user .
          I am not positive but think the webcam can only be turned on if you install either yahoo or windows messenger then you get the option to turn on webcam ,and can let your friends see you looking a mess lol
          I may be wrong take a look at this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3161608AAqlD9u
          Last edited by Guest; 23-06-09, 20:00.

Comment

Thanks Chrissy...thats the one I was looking for AVG...
            VAL...SPOT ON...It also has the sleep and hibernate choice as well on that arrow......thank you both girls...came up trumps again....lol...allan

Comment

Glad I could help, makes a change lol:D:D
              www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
              http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

okay,,,LAPTOP IS ALREADY DOWNLOADEDWITH MACAFEE....RECOMMENDS ONLY 1 SECURITY PROGRAMME...MACAFEE OR AVG...WHICH IS BEST....ALLAN

Comment

Gets on soap box. Why do people always go for the freebies, Norton 2009 Internet Security Suite is by far the best program for protecting your PC, AVG is ONLY anti virus, it's not 100% and it certainly is not a security suite, it will allow some worms or malaware to infect your PC, you get what you pay for. Don't take any notice of me I've only been using computers for 15 years. Rant over, apologies if I upset anyone.
                  Best Wishes
                  Ron
                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I personally would go with AVG if you want a free one but you can buy something like Kaspserksy which covers everything as Ron suggest ,its a security suite , and really quite reasonable .
                    By the way if you intend to keep Macafee you cant have another virus programme you should only have one .
                    If you do download AVG you also need a firewall something like Zonelarm .
                    Download ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.298.0 - FileHippo.com
                    Download FREE AVG antivirus software. Get protection against viruses, malware and spyware. Easy-to-use virus scanner for PC, Mac & mobile. Download TODAY.
                    Last edited by Guest; 23-06-09, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
                      Gets on soap box. Why do people always go for the freebies, Norton 2009 Internet Security Suite is by far the best program for protecting your PC, AVG is ONLY anti virus, it's not 100% and it certainly is not a security suite, it will allow some worms or malaware to infect your PC, you get what you pay for. Don't take any notice of me I've only been using computers for 15 years. Rant over, apologies if I upset anyone.
                      BECAUSE IN MY OPINION NORTON SECURITY TOTALLY BOTCHED UP MY COMPUTER BECAUSE I DIDN`T RENEW MY ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION...
                      If you know a lot about computers (I don`t) explain to me why ONCE I HAVE ACCEPTED NORTON THEY CAN THEN BASICALLY BLACKMAIL YOU TO RENEW...THEY WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE...THEY HASSLE AND BADGER YOU PERMANATELY..COULD IT BE THE SALESMANS TOUCH ??????...
                      so if you`ve been in computers for 15 years can you tell me if DELL have Macafee already installed why would they use Macafee...is it no good ??.....Allan
                      Last edited by garstonite; 24-06-09, 05:20.

Comment

Try McAfee it is not nearly as heavy,interfering or troublesome as Norton. If your machine is already loaded with it ,give it a go.You can always change later. We haven't had any problems with it.

Comment

If you want security go with Norton, if you want to take a risk there are plenty of free programs which will give some protection.

The reason certain manufacturers supply their computers with free software is that the sponsorship reduces the overall cost of the computer package.
                          Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I use Norton Internet Security 2009 and and find it far superior to previous Norton products. This one is much lighter in system requirements , is very fast and continually updates virus definitions.

Comment

I too have never had any problems with Norton.

Comment

I've got Norton on the laptop, purely because it was included in the cost of the machine. I also had problems with Norton years ago (once it gets its hooks in it is very difficult to remove) and on my desktop I now use Avast which I have set to update every day. I found AVG free very limited though I did use AVG professional for a while (but it was expensive). I think they are getting better but a lot of problems with the free ones are not getting updates regularly enough, too many people think you can just upload it and leave it alone and it will protect you but there are new bugs all the time so you must keep it up to date. For every person who says " don't touch..." there will another who will recommend it.
                                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                  BECAUSE IN MY OPINION NORTON SECURITY TOTALLY BOTCHED UP MY COMPUTER BECAUSE I DIDN`T RENEW MY ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION...

There's no need to SHOUT, how did it "botch up" your computer.

If you don't like or don't want Norton on your PC there is a tool for removing it from your PC available as a download from the Norton website.

If you know a lot about computers (I don`t) explain to me why ONCE I HAVE ACCEPTED NORTON THEY CAN THEN BASICALLY BLACKMAIL YOU TO RENEW...THEY WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE...THEY HASSLE AND BADGER YOU PERMANATELY..COULD IT BE THE SALESMANS TOUCH ??????...

Once it runs out of course they will send you reminders, until you uninstall it.

so if you`ve been in computers for 15 years can you tell me if DELL have Macafee already installed why would they use Macafee...is it no good ??.....Allan
                                  Guy has already answered this question.

Whatever security software you install it is by far the best option to use a security suite not just an anti virus just to explain as you apparantly are not a techie, a security suite will contain, anti virus, firewall, anti trojan, worm & malaware (which are sometimes are not recognised as a virus or a pain in the bum) e-mail checking for nasties, anti phishing website detection and a whole load of other security features that the free AVG or any other free program DOES NOT contain. You get what you pay for, if you want complete protection and peace of mind it doesn't come free. I've lost count of the number of posts I've seen on forums and newsgroups where somebody has a viral or similar problem because they are not using a full security package. If someone makes a comment about a program by rubbishing it then the question has to be asked "What's your computer skill/knowledge", it's so easy to blame something on a program but unless you can clarify or identify what caused the problem with your knowledge of computers then as soon as the problem appears it pays to come onto a forum such as this and ask. You didn't want Norton on your system, you did not clarify why or ask someone to explain any problem you may have been having with it or what you proposed to replace it with there are many people on this and other forums who are willing to help you out.
                                  Last edited by Genealogy Printers; 25-06-09, 17:40.
                                  Best Wishes
                                  Ron
                                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

if you allready have mcafee installed why would you want something else. i have used mcafee for the last 2 years and had no problems at all.

perth

Comment

Working...
                                    X