Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning hardware - which one?

Hi

Can anyone help with advice about which scanner to buy.

I really need one the will scan photos both greyscale and colour so these can be restored?

My scanner does not give me any options on how to scan so it pleases itself which is no good when scanning photos!

Any help really welcome

x

PS Middle of the road quality/price

Ginny, I bought an Epson Perfection V200 Photo scanner that allows me to scan photos in both 48 & 24-bit color as well as 16 & 8-bit grayscale. The available resolution goes up to 9600 (although 12800 is on the list, it is grayed out). It has a setting for film as well as reflective (photos) and has adjustable settings for auto-exposure, histogram adustment, tone correction, image adjustment and color pallet. And the price was fairly inexpensive ($149 US).

Comment

Thanks Aislin

Thats one option, not sure the price would be the same here in the UK...we are robbing so and so's!

So what would you say is the most important function on the scanner ie; resolution or other, in order to get quality scans of photos to restore?

thanks babe

x

Comment

Hi resolution is a must if you want to do restoration work on photos.

Most Scanners will do both colour and B&W.

Have you looked to see what Amazon have?
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have a HP ScanJet G2400 Flatbed Scanner by Hewlett Packard and it does all I need. Think it's about £40.
          Wendy

Comment

The setting I pay most attention to when scanning is resolution. The higher the quality scan when starting out, the more you have to work with. The downside is that the resulting scan can sometimes be prohibitively large. But again, the more you have in the beginning to work with, the easier the task becomes of correcting the image. You can always scale an image down. You can't successfully scale an image up.

Comment

I found it available on Amazon.com for £43.17

Comment

Thanks you two

I have started a list of what best and will then go searching online. Yours was cheap Wendy..and it does what it says on the tin?

Edit

Aislin, this is the one you have?

x

Comment

Just found the next one up to mine for £37 at Amazon.

Yes it does what is says on the tin!!

I'm very happy with it, and do a lot of restoration photos, and the resolution is fine for my needs.
                  Wendy

Comment

Brilliant guys...I love spending!

Better do some marking now or I'll be in trouble with my students tomorrow!

x

Comment

Originally posted by Ginny View Post
                      Aislin, this is the one you have?
                      Yes, and I've been very pleased with its performance.

Comment

I have a Canon scanner (can't remember the model number and I'm at work right now) that I've been very pleased with. Besides the scanner, I've owned three Canon printers, two Canon digital cameras and a Canon 35mm film camera over the years and been more than satisfied with all of their products. The software that came with the scanner (including OCR - optical character recognition) was also very good, IMO. You may want to check out some of their current models.

HTH -

Tim
                        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

I have a Canon Pixma MP800 (all-in-one printer & scanner) which I'm very pleased with as well. I don't think the MP800 is available anymore as it's about 3 years old, but like Tim I would recommend checking out their current models whether it be all-in-one (multifunctional) or stand-alone scanners. I also agree with Tim about the included software and Canon cameras - good stuff.

Canon Flatbed Scanner Scanners - Canon UK
                          Canon Photo, Film and Document Scanner Scanners - Canon UK
                          Canon Inkjet Multifunctional Multifunctionals - Canon UK
                          Last edited by Cloggie; 23-06-09, 14:33.
                          Sarah

Comment

Thanks CC/cloggie, will have a look at the sugestions. Glad I posted really becuase I thought I might be looking at paying about £200...but apparantley not, cool

x

Comment

Working...
                            X