Richd 5 Y

1851 Census
    HO107; 2327; 42; 20
    Lower York Street, Wakefield St John;s
    Ann Crossland Head W 55 Sempstress Yorks Stanley
    Richard Son U 29 Printer’s Ap. Yorks Morley

Then, I have just found her in 1858:
    Accounts 1858 - Arrears~ Northgate

She's on the 3rd page, 4th from the bottom.

It would appear she is in financial difficulties as she has been excused 7/6 in rates.

Her children had all moved away, so it is possible she died closer to one of them. One boy (Richard) was in Leeds, and two children in Sheffield district.

However, I can't pin down a death.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Is this her still in Lower York St, in 1861, Elizabeth? Bottom of page with a boarder, Joseph Pickles

- Ancestry.co.uk
    Sue

Comment

Sue, thank you!!
      Why didn't I see that (I have been looking all morning!)

Off to the drawing board again, I'm determined to get her through to the end.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I'm confused!

After Sue finding Ann on the 1861 census, I found a likely death in 1865, so I sent for the death cert.

It arrived today (double-quick service!).

When and where died:
        Lower York Street - big tick, that's where she was on census

56 years ?????????? On the 1861 census she was 66

Casue of death: Disease of lungs of long standing

Informant: Edward Brook present at the death Upper ? Row Leeds

No mention of whether she was a widow (hopefully) or single.

How frustrating - but it looks like her except the age is completely wrong!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Very weird - the informant Edward Brook is also the Registrar! And he lives in Leeds - what was he doing at her deathbed?
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Well, on the 1861 and 1871 Censuses Edward Brook is the Registrar of Births and Deaths for Wakfield and is living in Hatfield Street - just around the corner from Lower York Street where Ann Crosland lived.

I'm not sure why he has a Leeds address in 1865 - perhaps just temporary?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

are you sure he's not related? maybe he was there on business?

Comment

Working...
              X