I`m embarrassed and need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I`m embarrassed and need help...

:o..someone from Mexico who had their ancestors in Duke St in Garston in the 1860`s has contacted me...Duke St is still there...they`re delighted ...then they asked me about another ancestors address...
    Knight ??????....they said it was unreadable....so I thought I knew ALL of Garston but I have never heard of this address....so ,cap in hand I am asking anybody if they know how I can get a map of Garston 1860`s -1900 online....help...:o allan :o
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Your local library might have some. You might also try the local authority as I know in Manchester they have maps of the town for 1890s and earlier.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret...at a push I will go to the library but Iam hoping to find a site that might give me a map...googling Garston Maps now....cheers...allan;)
      added...they all want money to purchase old maps of Garston...typical
      Last edited by garstonite; 23-06-09, 08:23.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan....have you actually had a look at the address yourself (I'm assuming it was on a census return)? If the writing was that bad it might not even say 'Knight'
        Jeanette
        Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Yes, I googled and thought maybe it would be too costly. When I got on to Manchester Town hall they answered my query and sent me a photocopy of the map covering the street I was interested in.
          Margaret

Comment

I've done an address search for Knight ...., Garston, on the 1861/1871/1881/1891/1901 censuses and nothing shows up.

Are you sure it was in Garston?
            Elaine

Comment

yes....definitely Garston...my wife says she seems to remember the name Knight House.....what or where it was she`s not sure....thanks...allan

Comment

There is no Knight Road/Street/Square/Lane etc showing on the census.
                Elaine

Comment

Do you know that name of the ancestor who supposedly lived at Knight ???
                  Elaine

Comment

Edward and Christiana Hurst Elaine.....both supposedly living there...Jeanette..no I haven`t seen the transcript,I`m just taking this ladies word ....sorry about the confusion but I cannot ever recollect any Knight St/House/Grove/Terrace etc etc...my wife seems to think there was....allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 23-06-09, 09:20.

Comment

In 1871 they seem to be living at 47 James Street, Garston
                      RG10; Piece: 3853; Folio: 22; Page: 38

and in 1891 at 12 King Street, Garston
                      RG12; Piece: 3004; Folio 105; Page 33;

I'll see if I can find the 1881 and 1901
                      Elaine

Comment

3 Shakespeare Street, Garston
                        RG11; Piece: 3719; Folio: 83; Page: 23
                        Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine...as always you come up trumps....why isn`t your green light on ???....lol...allan:D
                          Last edited by garstonite; 23-06-09, 09:30.

Comment

1901 - 17 Ashworth Street, Wavertree
                            RG13; Piece: 3503; Folio: 9; Page: 10

... so not a lot of help!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                              ...why isn`t your green light on ???...:D
                              Cos I'm not really here ..... am at our local genealogy club!
                              Elaine

Comment

Allan,

You probably know this anyway but just in case you don't,if you go to the Library down town,at least I think it's a Library,can't think of the name of it sorry,the one next to the Museum,just up from the Tunnel they have lots of maps upstairs,drawers full of them ,I've been a few times and photocopied them,doesn't cost much.Although I haven't got round to it yet I believe they also will let you buy copies of photos taken by the Engineers department of Liverpool Streets.

Hana

Comment

ok...so I have just re-read her info and she actually states that Edward and Christiana get married in 1862...and they both give their address as Knight ???...I think she`s taking it for granted it`s Garston...could be anywhere in South Liverpool...can we find either of them in 1861 census...her maiden name was COE...cheers...allan....just checking lancs bmd to see if they were married in Garston
                                  ADDED...they were married in Liverpool city center......silly custard...she`s under the illusion that Knight ?? is in Garston...it`s probably Toxteh way.....sorry folks...not my fault....allan
                                  Last edited by garstonite; 23-06-09, 09:55.

Comment

thanks for the info Hana...it`s the Central Library........cheers....allan;)

Comment

Here's Christiana in 1851 HO107; Piece: 2361; Folio: 418

Comment

thanks Margaret...how old is she please ???..and who is there with her ??..allan

Comment

Working...
                                        X