Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Yorkshire Archives, Wakefield

Does anyone ever go there?

I'm trying to find a burial for OH's ancestor Richard Crosland. He must have died between 1831 and 1841. I have ordered lots of booklets from Wakefield & District Family History Society but they haven't transcribed the burials for these dates (St John's Wakefield).

Richard was a butcher. His last child, also Richard, was born on 2 Nov 1831 (at Morley) and christened at St John's Wakefield. They lived in various locations in Wakefield District from 1819.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

There is one showing in the NBI
    Richard Crossland
    Date of burial 8 Sept 1831
    Age at death 39
    Buried St John the Baptist, Wakefield.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, I have printed that one out and have it marked as a possible. There is also at least one more death that could be him:

Deaths Jun 1838
      Crosland Richard Wakefield 22 473

I received 6 booklets (christenings, marriages and burials) for some dates this morning from Wakefield and District Family History Society, and they very obligingly give all the children's dates of birth and where the family was living, plus the fact that for each of the children Richard Crosland was a butcher.

However, this is the last child:

6. Richard Chr. 14 Jun 1832 St John’s Wakefield
      Abode: Morley
      DOB 2 Nov 1831

They were living at Morley, which is closer to Leeds than to Wakefield, so it is possible Richard wasn't buried there. He is given as a Butcher for this christening. No mention of him being deceased (if he died in Sept 1831 he wouldn't have made the birth or the christening!).

I am hoping that the burial record will also obligingly say "Butcher"!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
      X