Intrigued by GGF's death certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrigued by GGF's death certificate

I have recently received my great grandfather's death certificate and am rather intrigued by it.

It says for Enoch Brown that he died of Valvative (looks like disease) of heart, stricture of eurethia - so I suppose that translates in laymans term as a massive heart attack? He was 41 years of age.

S T Bunning his brother in law was with him at the Brewery Beeston, Nottingham. I know that Samuel was the owner but what I find intriguing is that it says for Enoch's occupation that he was a master grocer. Does this mean that he popped in for lunch, felt unwell and died or would the Brewers Yard have had a grocer in situ for the workforce to use. How would I find out?

Could it be - Valvular disease of the heart ( disease of the heart valves).
    and Stricture of the urethra (tube from the bladder and the opening out the body.)

Sorry I don't know about the grocer bit.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sounds like a heart valve disorder (which could eventually have led to a heart attack). But "stricture of the eurethra" is something else. Here is some information about urethral stricture:
      Urethral stricture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Urethral Stricture
      Sarah

Comment

I would have thought it was unlikely for a brewery to have a grocer working on the premises.

What exactly does it say for his place of death? If it just says "Brewers Yard", that could be his or his brother's home address.

Comment

Have you got Enoch on a census anywhere that might show the address of his shop? I can't think that a Brewery would have a shop on site. I take it you have seen this site Beeston Brewery & Samuel Theodore Bunning (1846-1928).
          Interestingly on there it has Enoch as a railway clerk! It also says that Samuel and his wife lived at the Brewery at one point so perhaps that explains it.
          Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-06-09, 16:45.

Comment

We have a bit of a problem here in that Enoch and Annie moved towns between censuses. Annie is living with her children William 14 and Nellie 12 in the 1891 census, RG12 2697 at what looks like Shaw Road. Looks to me as if Enoch popped into the Brewery Yard for a chat with brother in law and died on the premises.

What I have noticed is that all the way through he was put down as a Railway Clerk and suddenly we get Master Grocer and I am wondering if this is a mistranscription.

Comment

I can't see how you get a mis-transcription of master grocer from railway clerk! also on the death cert I presume it is a copy of the entry in the register. I can only think he either 'bigged' himself up to b-i-l or changed profession before he died and after the last census entry for him. I think someone calling themselves a 'master' just meant they employed people rather than it conferring any high skill or expertise.
              Margaret

Comment

Just a thought - did she move before he died or after? if he was a railway clerk he might have been living in a tied house at the station and so Annie and children would have to move out when he died.
                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  Just a thought - did she move before he died or after? if he was a railway clerk he might have been living in a tied house at the station and so Annie and children would have to move out when he died.
                  Margaret
                  That I don't know, Enoch was a clerk in Hackney and the family left London. It would appear from the census entries that the Bunnings/Browns/Masons were very close knit over several years, over a few censuses. Samuel Theodore Bunning had himself worked on the railway network all over the country. It would appear that Samuel gave a lot of his relatives work, looked after widows etc of men that had been killed in action. There would have been no need at all to talk himself up, Samuel would have known Enoch's social standing, as he'd seen him on home ground. Being called a "Grocer master" seems rather odd to me, as its the first indication we have heard of it as its not shown up on censuses before.

Anyway Samuel, Enoch, Annie, Helen and her brother and husband and everyone else are long gone and it doesn't really matter.

Comment

My great great grandfather was another Enoch Brown. Your Enoch was one of his nephews. I have been researching the Draycott Browns for some years and may have some data, certificates etc which could help you further your family tree. I see from later census returns that Enoch's widow Annie ran a grocery and liquor store at 254 St Ann's Well Road from 1891 thru 1911. Perhaps grocer was a polite way of describing the proprietor of an off license.

Comment

Enoch didn't give the information about his occupation - the informant did. He might be the one bigging up his occupation. [my fave exaggeration is on my gt uncle's marriage cert where he states his father was a "provisions merchant" when in reality he delivered milk!]

Brewer's Yard might be the name of a road or lane in which there were houses as well as the Brewery. Or the Brewery might be part of a larger building with residential accommodation in it.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There IS a Brewhouse yard, IN Nottm centre, it is a row of houses, which now are a part of the museum,

Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-06-10, 10:54.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X