Advice about Internet Explorer 8, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about Internet Explorer 8, please

I am receiving prompts about installing IE8, and the benefits of it.

Has anyone had any issues with IE8, please. When I installed IE7, it triggered the collapse of my whole email system, so I uninstalled, and am still using IE6. Want to avoid any trouble again.

Experience and views welcomed, please.

Carol

Babs was asking about IE8 this morning Carol. There are some opinions about it on her thread -

Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gillian.

'Fraid I always forget to do a search before posting. :o

Shall hold off doing anything and follow the other thread before deciding.

Thanks again,
      Carol

Comment

I only noticed Babs' one on General this morning because I'd been receiving the same prompts as you Carol and had been wondering whether to download or not.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I downloaded it weeks ago and its brilliant.

Comment

Carol I downloaded once while ago and didnt rate it but was sick of the prompts to download again so thought I would do it but Im finding it slow , someone has said if you untick must of the options its ok ;;;Im trying to find out if I can go back to options to change things ;;
            Mind to be honest was finding computer sluggish before download, lots of others say itrs quicker
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Gillian, Babs & Val,

Thank you for responding. Thought I’d have a go – but truly wish I had not :(

I didn’t get any boxes to tick or untick. It is so much slower - and a whole folder of favourites has disappeared (though fortunately not the Family History folder of sites).

Looked in the program list with a view to uninstalling, but unfortunately my IE6 has been removed so I think I’m stuck with it. Have quickly tried Firefox 3 as others suggested, but that looks so alien after using IE for so many years, not sure I could cope!

My PC's as frustrated as I am

Carol

Comment

I originally upgraded a while ago and my computer crashed so I uninstalled it, then my screen went and the friend that helped me with that told me to check what service pack I had before upgrading, apparently as long as you have service pack 3 (which I now have) it will work fine. So I bit the bullet and went for it and this time it was fine.
                Alison

Comment

Hi Alison,

Thank you for that thought, and I'm glad you have had success.

Unfortunately, I already have SP3 on my PC, so don't know what has gone amiss.

Carol

Comment

Carol all you have to do is uninstall it and your old IE will still be there, are you sure you did not download the Beta version????

or try this http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2817/...uninstall_ie8/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx for the IE8 version
                    Last edited by Guest; 23-06-09, 19:43.

Comment

Val,

Thank you for your support and for the link, which I followed.

Nearly fainted when I found IE6 is no longer among my programs, and I couldn't connect to the Internet at all, even trying Firefox :(

Finally got connected so think that (S--'s law) it coincided with my ISP having a siesta!

Thanks again. I really appreciate being able to turn to you wiser folk on the Forum for advice.

All best,
                      Carol

Comment

glad you got it sorted

Comment

Val, I send you a cyber bouquet!!

I had IE8 (Beta version) and it wouldn't let me print the census records from Ancestry. I rang them and was told that Ancestry + IE8 (Beta) = no go! She explained how to do it through Firefox, but I just wanted to get back to what I'd always done, press the 'print' button and there we go.

Now, the dratted thing has gone and I can print through IE7 (well, I think that's what I've reverted to :D) Don't care - no more fiddling around!

Gwyn
                          x

Last edited by Oscar; 27-06-09, 17:16.
                          Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Gwyn that Beta version is rubbish so maybe you need to install the proper IE8 then ??? I dont use Firefox for Ancestry either
                            I dont really like Firefox but for some reason can only access Findmypast with it as the images wont open on IE8??

oh and by the way next time you send me a bouquet make sure there aren't greenfly still on it LOL thanks

Comment

Hi Val

I had no trouble with Find My Past - strange eh?

I was unaware that there was a 'proper' version of IE8 out - I just got sooo fed up with the version I had - every time I needed a census transcript, I had to use Firefox, which I don't find particularly user-friendly.

Again, thanks for your support.

edit: Cheeky so and so - greenfly attract ladybugs - good for the planet!

Gwyn
                              x

Last edited by Oscar; 27-06-09, 17:49.

Comment

that is strange all I get are blank images ????? ah well what works for one ????
                                I dont mind the greenfly really my Frogs will love them .

Comment

See, I'm good to you (and your froggies) really...........

Gwyn
                                  x

Comment

I know this is daft, but how do I know which IE I have already? Ive looked at programs and it just says IE not the version. Ive just tried to download IE8 but it says it detected I had a more up to date version? Can you have more up to date than IE8? And, again daft, but I downloaded it when I had Firefox on. Do you have to open IE to download it?

Comment

Heather do you have a question mark next to tools ?? if so thats where it tells you which version click on that then about internet explorer

Comment

Heather if you click on help above on the bar in little writting , and about it tells you there what version you have
                                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X