Will 1685 ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 1685 ..

On Ancestry I've found a will listed of (hopefully) one of my ancestors ... there's no details of the contents of the will .... can anyone please advise me how I can find out what it says?
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
    On Ancestry I've found a will listed of (hopefully) one of my ancestors ... there's no details of the contents of the will .... can anyone please advise me how I can find out what it says?
    If it's held in the National Archives you can download it for £3.50.
    Margaret

Comment

thanks for the info Margaret ... will pop across and see if I can find it

just wondering why will contents is not available via Ancestry ???

Comment

blooming 'eck .... it's 4 pages long, but will probably take me about a week to read and decipher it ...!!

however, some other wills listed on Ancestry but couldn't find them on NA ????

Comment

The entry on Ancestry should give you a clue as to where the will is held. I found a Lancashire will on Ancestry that was supposedly held in Chester, but when I contacted the Cheshire Record Office they told me Ancestry's indexes are out of date and that all Lancashire wills had since been transferred to Lancashire Record Office.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 22-06-09, 11:02.
          Sarah

Comment

thanks Sarah ...

Comment

I can't remember the exact wording, but I think the one I found on Ancestry included a phrase like "wills held in..." or "wills proved in..."
              Sarah

Comment

Ancestry usually tell you at the bottom of the record where it has been sourced and certainly if you print the entry it will show where they got the details from.
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X