Does anyone know Holkham, Norfolk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know Holkham, Norfolk?

I have an ancestor (Ann Blunt) who lived there; she was a gatekeeper to the West Lodge (presumably to Holkham Hall). Does anyone know if it still stands - the West Lodge that is? If so, what is it like?

Also, I found a bizarre photograph of a rough piece of land called Blunts Corner and it mentioned it was near New Holkham. Is this anywhere near the West lodge or Holkham Hall?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find more information about these places?

Many thanks
    Last edited by ~~Lesley~~; 21-06-09, 21:45.

There is a map for Blunts Corner on this link
    Blunt's Corner, near New Holkham, Norfolk:: OS grid TF8939 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!

If you click on it you can zoom out - Holkham Hall is also marked.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, found that photograph yesterday but will have to try zooming in and out tonight to see the distance from the Hall.

Comment

They have their own website Lesley. You could contact the Estate Manager and ask him.

The Estate : Holkham Hall and Estate - North Norfolk, England

Used to visit there years ago when I lived in Norwich. Lovely place.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

My sister vaguely knows one of the Coke family of Holkham Hall. I'll ask her to point him at this thread.
          Hail Spode!

Comment

Oh thank you all for this...it's very kind and useful.

My ancestors lived there for definite in the mid 1840s, 50s however going by the birth of their children, they could have lived there from early 1810s. I think Thomas Blunt who was married to Ann may have been the head butler at one stage, however, he seems to have died before 1841.

Comment

Working...
            X