Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a marriage for arthur Ireland & Florence Kate Ireland

All i know about these are :

Arthur died in 1958 but unsure when in 1958 got a feeling between jan- may?
    I know nothing of florence Kate or have a DOB.

This is quite an interesting one as my 'nan' adopted my mother using Florence Kate as her name!
    I just wondered if there was a marriage for these two, my cousin seems to think he came from kent? But whose to say he wasn't married in the Birmingham area?

Many thanks for your help

Wendy
    xxxxxx
    Last edited by bashfulwomble; 21-06-09, 20:22. Reason: searching Kirby, Mullins families

Do you have a DoB which might give a clue when the marriage would have been?

Do you have any idea for a place for the marriage?

...Or is this query actually part of another thread which I haven't seen?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

No this is a newish thread as i didn't know Arthur's wifes name i was only told 'kate' but on my mums adoption cert it states 'florence kate ireland' - my 'nan' who was called nelly used it to adopt my mum! No one seems to know why she used arthur's first wifes name but she did on several accassions apparently? the plot thickens.
      I think Arthur was born jan 1892. I know he died in 1958 in bromsgrove area? if this helps?

Comment

do you happen to know where this post has been moved to? it says it has been moved but doesn't state where?

Comment

This thread is now in the Research Qs & As forum.

You originally posted it in the General Discussion forum - so one of the moderators has moved it here for you.
          Elaine

Comment

I'm not entirely sure I'm following you, lol, but I found this:

Sept 1916 Guildford 2a 197

Florence K Varns
            to
            Arthur Ireland.

Who was Arthur Ireland and how does your Nan come into the story?

OC

Comment

oh thanks!

Comment

Darn it !!! it gets a bit complicated!!!!

My mum was adopted, her adopted mother was nelly, originally she was married to a james goodger.
                They parted but when i don't know - i have 2 living children from that marriage so cannot tell you their names.
                I don't know when my 'nan' (we have always called her nan - because we can't seem to hget much info on my mums birth mother!!)
                However she then we think lived with Arthur Ireland not so sure if they ever got married we think she just took on his surname?
                But on my mothers adoption birth cert it states:
                Arthur Ireland & Florence Kate Ireland -

I haven't got papers to hand but will look tomorrow as i think i have some info on the marriage for goodger V kirby (my nans maiden name!)

but it would be nice to know if he & florence had any children?

Comment

The only Arthur Ireland death in 1958 is this one

Q/E March 1958 Ireland, Arthur aged 66 Bromsgrove vol 9d page 12
                  Jackie

Comment

I'm still not sure I'm following this, but surely your mum was adopted by Arthur and his wife Florence Kate, as that is what it says on her adoption cert.

When was your mum born? What year did the adoption take place?

OC

Comment

There are three children listed on freebmd, father's name Ireland, mother's name Varns, all born Guildford.

OC

Comment

yep that's the chappie

Comment

do you have any details? could you PM me?

Comment

Florence Kate Varns b Dec 1892 Alton 2c 143.

Does any of this connect with the information you have?

OC

Comment

No mums adopted mother is nelly (was) she died in 1986.

My mum was born in Cherington, Rother Street, Shipston on Stour at a home for unmarried mothers.
                              The adoption was 7th july 1944. My mum was born 29/12/1943.

Comment

FreeBMD Home Page

Click on that,
                                select births,
                                enter Ireland for father's name
                                enter Varns for mother's maiden name
                                click search.

I'm not being difficult here - this is a really useful site you may want to use again. If you get stuck, come back and I will pm you the details but you should be able to find them easily.

Happy hunting!

OC

Comment

i have no info on florence at all only what the other kind people have posted. There has been talk in the family that Arthur came from the kent area? My 'nan' was from the Berkswell area Hampton in Arden.

Comment

Are you saying that Nellie pretended to be Florence Kate, the legal wife of Arthur, in order to adopt your mum?

That seems really odd. I know the authorities didn't do many checks in those days but surely they would have realised that if Florence Kate married in 1916 then she would be in her 50s at the time of the adoption?

OC

Comment

When arthur dies in 1958 he was 66 - 13 yrs after adopting my mum & also when my mum went home so as to speak nelly (calling herself florence we think - ) had an older daughter with her - this is the one still living so she would have been early 20's or there abouts.

Comment

Nellie Kirby
                                        m
                                        James Goodger
                                        Dec 1918 Aston 6d 956.

EDIT - three children of the marriage showing, 1919, 1923, 1926 (female MLE) - is this the one you know about?

OC
                                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 22-06-09, 00:15.

Comment

Working...
                                        X