Buying a new laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new laptop

I'm after a relatively cheap laptop to use as well as my tower computer, to surf, use Word and Photoshop, as well as storing images. My children might play Lego CD computer games too. It will also be a back up if the main computer ever goes wrong.

I've seen this one on the JLP website -

Buy Compaq Presario Laptop, CQ60-305SA, 2.10GHz with 15.6 Inch Display online at JohnLewis.com

As my husband works for them I'll get 12% discount and then I have some vouchers which will bring it down to around £239.

However the only problem I can see is that it only has 1024 MB Ram - would this be enough for what I need or do I need one with 2 GB

Also, I do have a modem which I can switch to Wi-Fi, but can I use it with a lead (presumably Ethernet) plugged into the back of the modem?

Many thanks for your help

The other option is this one -

Buy Toshiba Satellite Laptop, L300-227, 2.16GHz with 15.4 Inch Display online at JohnLewis.com

Which will be another £100, but will it be more suited to my needs?

The school uses Toshiba, which I always think is a good sign

Comment

Personally I wouldn't get one under 2GB. I checked out laptops just this week and finally opted for a Compaq Presario with 3 GB for £369 from Tesco

Unexpected error occurred - Tesco.Direct

I'm pleased with it and found it was good value for money. My previous one was an Acer which I won't touch with a barge pole again.

Edit : OK can't post link but if you go to the Tesco Direct site it's the Compaq CQ60-214EM T1600 3GB 250GB 15.6" Laptop and BTW they had them instore at my local Tesco Extra so didn't have to wait for delivery
      Last edited by taffyfrog; 21-06-09, 15:37.
      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

That does look like a good one, thank you Carole

I won't get the partner discount, but will get lots of Clubcard points instead

Comment

Ye tmy main comp and this lappy are both acer and I have had no problems with mine ,,lappy is acer aspire5920 2 of memory 3 of the other cost £299 from the shop lot hate PC world ;;
          think most of them its luck of the draw ;;
          know lots swear by dell
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Yes, could be but we paid 800 euros for it a couple of years back when there were about 70p to the euro. It never really performed well - now the mother card has packed in but luckily the insurance is willing to pay back the residual value which just about covers the cost of the new one. Now all I have to do is get used to using an Qwerty keyboard again after years of using an Azerty--eeerm, now where have they put the accents?
            Last edited by taffyfrog; 21-06-09, 18:26.
            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Oh pass Carol mines a english one to begin with lol and this big one is sep keyboard and all that ;;
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
              X