Interesting baptism record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting baptism record

Looking at parisah registers in Cumberland the other day I wrote this one down as it was so unusual - the vicar clearly though it was too!

"Kirklinton Parish, 15 April 1773: Margaret and Mary, twain daughters of Jane Riley of the Parish of Stanwix born on Hosberry without any assistance on returning from filiation"

Presumably they were born in a field. But what was 'filiation' she was returning from? (Stanwix is about 8 miles from Kirklinton)

Anne

I reaslly don't know, but hazarding a guess - she had just attended a bastardy examination?

(I'm just reading an awful book which explains how unmarried mothers were denied any medical assistance in the workhouse, except in dire emergency, and were required to wear a broad yellow stripe during their stay in the workhouse - their badge of shame).

OC

Comment

I'm disappointed OC - I was sure you had come straight back with the answer!

Happily I did not find any burials in the following weeks - they must have been a tough lot!

Anne

Comment

I reckon OC must be about right. Filius/Filia are Latin for son/daughter, and filiation is very close to affiliation...

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found this by Googling, don't know if it helps.

filiation - definition of filiation by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I think the "without any assistance" bit, is, reading between the lines, evidence that she would not say who the father was, and therefore was denied any attention when she gave birth, the usual punishment for wayward girls who wouldn't name a father. Are you sure the birth was in a field?

I take it there is no "reputed father" named in the register?

OC

Comment

This isn't my family - just an entry I though would be of interest. I got the impression that the comment in the PR was being made out of admiration for the feat of giving birth to twins on the way from Stanwix to Kirklinton. (I was astonished!)

I have been looking at the map and think it must mean Howberry. It is a bit of raised land near Scaleby Moss. There are (and never have been) proper villages in this part of Cumbria. I think it must have been just where she dropped!!

I tried filiation on Google and didn't understand the results - far too highbrow for me!!
              Thanks for the comments.

Anne

PS there are a very large number of illegitimate births in this area and also lots of twins (twain children)

Comment

Working...
              X