Help with Chelsea Pensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Chelsea Pensioner

One of my ancestors was listed as a Chelsea pensioner on 1851 census records. He lived in Wigan.

I'm not at all used to the National Archives site but have managed to find records that possibly could be his.

Just wondering what the information below means and wondered if someone can help me?

Does it mean that the records could be online or would I have to wait until they are digitised?

Also, what does the covering dates mean? Would that be the dates which he may have been discharged from service as he lived until the 1851 census.

Hope someone can help as I'm a little confused

Many thanks

------------------------

WO Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
    Division within WO Records of the Royal Chelsea and Kilmainham Hospitals
    WO 97 Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents
    Subseries within WO 97 1760-1854: discharge papers arranged by regiment, but each described at item level. (WO 97/1-1271)
    WO 97/277 6th Foot: Abb - Bry

JOHN BROTHERTON
    Born WIGAN, Lancashire
    Served in 6th Foot Regiment; Royal Navy; 8th Reserves
    Discharged aged 41
    Covering dates 1798-1824
    Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years, This series is currently undergoing digitisation. Access to certain pieces will be disrupted over the next 3 years and advance ordering of this series is not possible during this time. Please check with us that the pieces that you wish to consult are not affected before you travel.
    Held by The National Archives, Kew

I believe the dates refer to his service dates. It says discharged aged 41 - so does service dates of 1798-1824 fit in with what you know about him.

The records are available from the National Archives. If you click on the tab REQUEST THIS, top right of screen, you can ask for an estimate for supplying the document.
    Elaine

Comment

As you have the exact reference for the document you need, you can ask for a quote for copies and then order, if you're happy with the price. You need to get to the page with the reference on, then click on "Request this" This will then take you through the process to request a quote. The dates mentioned will be the dates he served.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you

Thank you both for your speedy replies, you have been most helpful. I think he may have been born about 1781 so it does seem to fit.

I shall go and see about the estimates now.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
        X