Arthur Robinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Robinson

Whilst going through the Lambeth Union Schools registers seeking info on child migrants I came across this boy:

Arthur Robinson admitted 28 Feb 1895 to Lambeth Union Schools

'Admitted from 24 Auckland Street, Vauxhall St, where he had been living for the past 4 years with a Mrs Parker, a widow aged 60, who refused to give any information about the mother Alice Robinson who paid her 5/- a week until 1894

He was discharged to Dr Barnardo Homes on 12 June 1901, but I can no trace of him being emigrated

I am guessing his mum was either married or a society lady as it seems slightly odd that his carer would refuse to give info on her.

There are so are many interesting and intriguing stories in those books

Came across another child 'adopted' at the age of about 6, then when she was 11 the family sent her back saying she was troublesome then a couple of months later she returned to her adopted family. Could not help but wonder if the family were trying to teach her a lesson

I came across one sad case of a 5 year old girl placed in the Union by her parents as she was an imbecile. The Union eventually transferred her to an asylum, that is where she appears in 1911. For some reason she appears at home in 1901 and in the Union Home in 1901 though it is definitely the same child as the parents are correct.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.
Working...
X