Pennyfarthings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennyfarthings

This has got me so excited, there was always a story about how my great grandfather rode a pennyfarthing from London to Wales - yesterday when I visitied my aunt she very generously gave me this picture. I would be so grateful if someone could remove the spotting please.

I would also be interested on any ideas on date, I know they were invented in 1870, and Gt grandfather was born in 1854 (he's on the right)

(been googling all day, they were known as Ordinarys, and in the US as high wheels
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-06-09, 18:20. Reason: still have trouble with left & right!

Jill, what a fabulous photo! No wonder you are chuffed to get it.

I'm no help on the dating, other than to say that Great-Granddad looks in his twenties/early thirties at most.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

London to Wales on a penny farthing bike - phew! What a great photograph.

Peter
      Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Fantastic photo Jill.

Love it when a kind rellie gives you something like that
        Jay

Comment

What a fabulous picture, there used to be Penny Farthing cycling clubs, and I think, and I stress think that these two are wearing their club uniform as they pose with the bike.

Comment

I agree Barbara, so far most of what I have found on cycling outfits by googling has been on cycle clubs in the USA.

He was married 1879 and by 1881 had a child so I wonder if this might have been taken in his bachelor days. His friend is "Mr Lacey" - his 2nd daughter was given Lacey as a middle name and was born 1884.

Comment

Oops just noticed it's bikes not bike!!!

Comment

Its not perfection, but its a start.

Comment

That's wonderful, thankyou Aislin

Comment

one from me

Niksmum

Comment

Thankyou Niksmum, that's great

Comment

Working...
                      X