Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance

Me again...

I wondered if it is possible to somehow find out where an inheriance came from...

My husband's grandfather inherited an amzing amount of money (1 million pounds to today's standards), probably in the 30s. He spent it all in 1 year on bets :(. Anyway, he has always been very quiet about where it came from and about his family too, so this inheritance and its roots could be a good indication as to whom he was related to and why he did not speak about them.

Is it also possible that the inheritance was his wife's and that he as the husband inherited it, or had the law been changed in the meantime?

It would be great to find out where that money came from, but how do I do that? Is there a possiblity to look into his bank account (if there was one), or is there a central archive concerning inhertance-papers? I am not going to contact all notaries or solicitors in England...

Or do I still have to wait a while before those records (if they exist) become available?

Thanks beforehand...

A proven British Will is a public document - although you have to pay a fee to obtain a copy. You do need to know the Who and the When - and, probably, the Where - otherwise you won't know what you're asking for.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think you would be able to find out anything going from your husband's grandfather's details. He would have been sent the money by the executors of the will and unless you know the person who died there is no way of finding out from official sources.

I suppose the only possibility might be to see if the name you have was mentioned at all in the newspapers around the time of the inheritance in case it was reported, which it might have been if it was such a large amount.

I have a similar situation in that I know my mother and her siblings inherited some money in the 1940s, not a huge amount but I can't find the relative who left it to them!
      Margaret

Comment

Well, thank you all for destroyig my hopes :p.

We'll just get it some time when we find out when someone died. Religiously looking up if they had a will, I suppose.

What fun.

Anyay, it'll provide us with extra records for our family tree. :D

Comment

Working...
        X