Wondering if its possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if its possible

to find out an address...I have on the earliest Census Newark on Trent but thats all...

Its a Newark on Trent Address and the birth is 1805.....possible or impossible ?

Have you look at the description of the enumeration district for the image where you found the address? It usually will say which part of the town the enumerator had covered. eg. "along the east side of 'such a' road to the bridge and then back on along the west side to the church". It might give clue that you could look up on a map.
    Margaret

Comment

There may not have been much of an address at the time. So long as people knew where to find you, that was enough. A formal postal service made specific addresses more necessary.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many of my early ones, even up to 1891, are simply "Village". Street names and numbers were usually restricted to towns and cities.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You might be able to work out where the place is if they lived near to a church or a pub, or something distinctive, like that.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just had a look at a random name on the 1841 census for Newark and at District 1 enumeration description. There do seem to be street names at least in that district.
            Margaret

Comment

It was a birth from 1805...how do parish records fit it ,and would i be able to view them ?

Comment

Originally posted by chich View Post
                It was a birth from 1805...how do parish records fit it ,and would i be able to view them ?
                you would need to find the baptism for the person concerned, this can possibly be found on Hugh Wallis' site, or by using familysearch links below

Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

www.familysearch.org
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Once you've found when/where, you'd have to work out whether you (or a delegate) could get to the relevant Record Office to get a copy.

Christine

Comment

Hello Chich, don't think we've 'met'.

I live in Newark and I will help if I can.

If you tell me the census details I'll have a look at that and when I get chance I can go and look for a baptism for you if you like as they do have them in the library.
                    Rose

Comment

Thanks so much everyone..

Rose will pm you

Comment

morning Chich.

not received a pm yet
                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X