Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scottish name of Moody Any idea what it is short for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish name of Moody Any idea what it is short for?

I have a Moody Grieve who should be alive in the 1841 Scottish census, married to a John McCrone, but I can't find them there. She is definitely called Moody on her marriage records, but I think it is short for something else - Does anyone know what?
    Have to go out now - will check back later.
    Thanks for any ideas in advance.

I have no idea what it is short for but could this lady have had a surname as a given name - many Scots have middle names as their mother's maiden name. Do you have any Moody/Moodie surnames further back?

Oh another thought - what about Maudie??/
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I certainly recognise MOODIE as a Scottish surname.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are 6 people with a first name of Moody in the 1841 Scots census. All central belt.
        Some male, some female. Sometimes on Scots census the women give their maiden name even though they are married and husband is still alive.
        Have you searched for Moody with her maiden name?
        Can you give me an area that you expect this lady to be living?
        Is she alive in 1851 as there is much more detail on that census?
        Sorry for all the questions but happy to help if i can.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I have Moodie/Mudie/Moodys, but only as a surname. Mostly in Fife although some migrated to Clackmannan.

I haven't come across it as a forename.

I presume this is the Moody Grieve/John McCrone marriage in Lanark 1829 on the IGI?
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thank you all - I hadn't thought of it being a surname, or as an alternative spelling. Grieve is her maiden name and I found it on Scotlands People Parish Records. Didn't know it was on the IGI - will check there to see if there are any other clues!
            Can't get onto Ancestry to look at the detail as they say someone else is using my account!!! That is weird - have to phone them and see what is going on!

Comment

Well - their telephone lines are closed, but I was able to log on to Ancestry.com instead! Very strange!

There is a Moodie Grieve born in Edinburgh 1806 on the IGI, but no idea if it is her or not. If I could find her in the 1841 census it would help - she has died by 1851. Don't know her parents.

She should be under her married name Moody M*Crone and has 2 children - Grieve b 1830 and John Thomson 1832 - both McCrones or Macrones. Probably Maccaroons!!

I tried searching for a Grieve/ Moodie marriage, but no result.
              Last edited by Trina; 21-06-09, 10:29.

Comment

There is a marriage OPR, on Scotlands People
                John McCrone and Moody Grieve - 5 Dec 1829, Gorbals, Glasgow, 644/002 0070 0031.

It will cost 1 credit for the index and 5 for the image.
                OPRs vary in the information - some just have the couples names whilst others have occupations, parish of both, father's name etc.
                Good luck
                herky

Comment

My first thought was that it might be an error/variant of Maudie, but the surname as first name seems more plausible.

I also remembered I once worked with a woman whose first name was pronounced Mooda. She was Irish.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thankyou for looking Herky - Unfortunately there is no other detail on there. Little Nell - I think it must be a surname - they seem to have done this quite a bit. However, I can't link it to anyone. My only "p0ssible" is a Moody Grieve born 1806 to Mathew Grieve and Jean Lithgow in Edinburgh. It may be his mother's maiden name I suppose. That's from the IGI.

Comment

I've just had a quick play on the IGI, and couldn't spot a likely parentage for Matthew (at least, not with Moody) but don't give up on that idea...

An elder brother of my CHRISTMAS g-g-father had the middle name PAFOOT. The mother's maiden name was FOSTER; she'd been alive in 1841 (aged 30+, born in County = Hampshire). Well I found a likely Baptism on the IGI, so a pair of parents. From that I found a set of siblings (eldest, bap Dec 1794), and deduced a likely marriage date for the parents, Thomas FOSTER and Elizabeth, of a year or so up to 1794. I found a Thomas FOSTER / Elizabeth marriage in Jan 1793 in Bishops Waltham (where the children had been baptised). Elizabeth's maiden name was PAFOOT. :D I was able to confirm the relationship by doing the same exercise again, and then finding some Wills online, which specifically identified Anne, wife of Eli CHRISTMAS, as a niece of Charles PAFOOT.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-06-09, 19:17.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's exactly that kind of thing that makes this all so exciting. I suppose it is a bit of lateral thinking and a lot of time and patience. Well done you. I must revise using the IGI more creatively. Had a link about that somewhere - maybe I'll checkout the Wiki.

Comment

Working...
                        X