occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occupation

i cant read archibald mcfarlane's occupation. looks like cutter followed by ee iona. his name next to the 14 (date of daughter's baptism)

also, farquhar matheson married mary matheson in 1833, the entry was followed by craig. most entries had a town after them....this means that the couple married in craig, lochalsh yes?

I think it says COTTAR, not cutter. A cottar was basically one step up from an ag lab.

EE Iona is presumably the place - Iona?

OC

Comment

More likely to be Cottar (small farmer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotter_(farmer)

E E Iona seems to be where he lived. There are several similar entries on the page.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Snap!

Comment

Isn't that the root of the word, Cottage?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see from other entries that as well as EE there is NE and WE.

Could that mean East, North and West Estate or End (of the island)?
            Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

so he was a farmer. i kind off knew that, but he had a different occupation- groundskeeper, on christina's marriage. he died sometime before 1852, as his widow mary and family sailed to queensland, and must have come to victoria somehow. on the ship list it stated they lived on the duke of argyll's estate on the isle of iona. any way to find out more about this?

i also wondered what the 'ee' before iona was. the family lived there, but the abbreviations have me stumped.

Comment

You might like to wade through this Wikipedia link. It might just give you what you are looking for.

Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Argyll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

well, i know they left during the reign of the 8th duke of argyll. thanx to the wiki link.
                  so living on his estate, the sons were said to be "in service in arran and paisley"
                  i assume this means that the sons were servants at the estates of arran and paisley?

Comment

The Dukes of Argyll had/have properties all over the place. Have you identified that Arran is an island in the Clyde estuary and Paisley is a town to the south-west of Glasgow, where the main industry was thread production and weaving.

Comment

i had realised that they had properties all over, but not sure if those places were in possession of the dukes.
                      i hadn't managed to get far enough to research paisley and arran.

Comment

Working...
                      X