AC/DC Adapter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC/DC Adapter problem

My Toshiba AC/DC Adapter which I use with my laptop doesn't seem to be working. It is giving out a ticking noice and not charging my battery. I am having to borrow one from another laptop for the time being.

Does this mean it is completely broken and I will have to fork out for a new one - they are very expensive. :(

Joy

When you say you are having to borrow one, you mean your laptop is fine but you are borrowing another power cable?
    David.
    Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

Originally posted by daj View Post
      When you say you are having to borrow one, you mean your laptop is fine but you are borrowing another power cable?

Yes, thats exactly what I mean.

Joy

Comment

You can usually buy a new, universal power adapter for a lot less that an original Toshiba one. Do you have a Maplin shop near you? They do a few around £30. You just need to ensure you get one that is the correct wattage and voltage for your laptop. The universal ones are often interchangeable voltages so it makes it easier. They guys in the shops are very helpful.

Also try eBay.

If you post your model number I can have a look and see what I can find
        David.
        Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

Thank you David.

We do have a Maplins not too far away. My model is a Satellite P200-1EE No. PSPB6E-0GM028EN.

Joy

Comment

This one looks good, but you can only order it online. Because your laptop requires a higher wattage it is a little more expensive

120W DC 19V Universal Laptop Power Supply > Maplin

If you were to visit the Maplin shop you are looking for an adapter which 19volts, 6.3amps, 120Watts. Most universal adapters switch voltage within a range, so as long as 19 is in the range that is good. The adapter must be able to output at least 6.3amps, if it does more then that is fine as your laptop will only take what it needs. The adapter wattage needs to be 120watts otherwise it will not charge.

(If you get a switchable voltage, you MUST make sure it is set to 19 before you use it otherwise your laptop could be toast!!)
            David.

My Tree

Comment

Hello David

Thank you very much for the above. I now know what I'm looking for.

I had better check the one I'm using at the moment from my son's laptop incase its not fully compatible - I don't want to go up in flames.

Joy

Comment

There's a new charger for your lappie on ebay, item number 180367337579, price is £17-50 including P&P. Slightly cheaper than the £50 one from Maplins isn't it.
                Best Wishes
                Ron
                www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

well spotted -- when I searched all i could find was one from Hong Kong
                  David.

My Tree

Comment

Thank you Ron, I've just been looking at it. It looks ideal. I will send off for it today.

Thank you to David too. ;)

It's on its way !
                    Last edited by Cheshire Cat; 20-06-09, 20:09.

Joy

Comment

Just like to say thank you to Ron and David. I now have my charger, courtesy of e.bay, and it is working wonderfully. ;)

Joy

Comment

Pleased to hear it.
                        Best Wishes
                        Ron
                        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Working...
                        X