Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could my ancestor not have had his birth registered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could my ancestor not have had his birth registered?

Hello all,

I need help again with my Joseph Fielden Hopkins. I have checked through the free BMD birth indexes and can find no trace of him. He is supposed to have been born in Leeds, Yorkshire around 1858. I have checked a fair few years before and after but with no luck

My question is if he could have 'slipped' the net and not been registered? I have his marriage certificate on where he states he was born in 1858. And the 1891 and 1901 census also says he was born abt 1858 in Leeds, Yorkshire. However I can't find him on the 1861 - 1881 census returns! He is proving to be an elusive character!!

Kind regards,

Julia

Yes indeed. He could well have never been registered, or the registration not passed on to the central office to be indexed in the GRO indexes. Or could he have been registered under a different name ? Have you looked in the IGI for a baptism ?

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I found a census entry for Hugh Hopkins, who in one census said he was born in Leeds, but in two others said he was born in Ireland. So could the enumerator, or Joseph have put incorrect birthplace in census ? If they did not come to Leeds until after 1881 census, he wont be in there at all.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Stonehouse View Post
        I have his marriage certificate on where he states he was born in 1858.
        What is his father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate?
        Who were the witnesses?
        What is Joseph's occupation - can you give the reference for the 1891 census?
        Elaine

Comment

Hello,

his fathers name is Hugh on the marriage certificate, the witnesses were Eliza Jane Batt (sister of bride) and William Frederick Batt (father of bride). The occupation of his father, Hugh, is Joiner. The 1891 census reference is RG12 3167 66 10. Unfortunately I can't find either of them in the IGI indexes.

Many thanks,

Julia

Comment

If you can't find a birth registered he might not have been registered - though I have found all my rellies born since 1837 were.

But not finding him on the census means either this family were very anti-officialdom! or that they were recorded with a different surname - or weren't in the country until much later.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have rellies who on one census state they were all born in Morley, west yorkshire when in fact 3 of them were born in Lancashire, and on OHs side a gg.granpa who turns out to have been born some 200miles away from where he claimed...........:(,

Comment

Hi Julia,

Have you tried looking here?

Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths

nice to see some locals online...
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

its always annoying when they arnt registered. maybe try christening records if you can locate the churches in the area he may have been born in.

Comment

OH's great-grandfather's brith wasn't registered, depsipte his older siblings being registered. He was the last of ten children and born in December 1850. Luckily I did find his baptism by going to the London Metropolitan Archives.

Neither have I found a death registration for his mother, who died some time between 1851 and 1861. Most infuriating. :(

Oh, and my great-great-grandmother's birth in November 1838 wasn't registered either (the woman in my avatar).
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think that it wasn't until 1875 that all births etc had to be registered, before that there was no penalty. One of my gt-grandfathers wasn't registered, nor have I found his baptism. They were ag labs uneducated and living in rural Norfolk.

Anne

Comment

I see that in 1891 Joseph was living in Manchester with wife Lou and children. Just thought it might be worth looking around that area for 1881 to see if his family were near hers. What is her maiden name? Have you found her on the earlier census?
                        Margaret
                        Oops! just looked back and see her name was Batt.

Comment

Julia,

have you tried looking for him as Joseph Fielden?? as some might have thought that Fielden was his surname?

have you found his parents? on ANY census?

oh and when you say you have looked on Freebmd, did you also check the complete images on ancestry??
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is this registration a possibility?
                            Joe Fielden 1856 Oct-Nov-Dec, Hunslet, Yorkshire, Volume: 9b Page: 247
                            Margaret

Comment

There are loads of Fieldens in Todmorden Lancs which is just up the road from Leeds. I wonder if Joseph's mother went there to have him if she was unmarried and then married a Hopkins and he assumed that as his surname. I would be very tempted to get the birth cert for the Joe Fielden and see what I could find of the mother and happened to her.
                              Funnily enough when I was looking for Joseph's marriage he is mis-transcribed as Mary Fielden Hopkins! I can't see why as the image is a clearly typed sheet and the entry is without doubt Joseph F Hopkins.
                              Margaret

Comment

That Hunslet birth looks promising. Can't see a Fielden-Hopkins marriage, though.

I was also wondering about all those Todmorden Fieldens, although Todmorden isn't all that close to Leeds. I wonder if the Leeds-Manc railway line was already in operation then? There's a station at Todmorden.

I'd just found the marriage mistranscription, and I've sent a correction to FreeBMD.

Comment

Yes, you may be onto something there Margaret and I only found his marriage by default to Louisa Batt, crazy mis-transcription!! I am going to order Joe Fieldens certificate, I hadn't found that one so thank you, a real posibility.

I love the Yorkshire BMD index from the link Julie, its so much easier than trawling through the original pages on FMP that I had been doing - thank you from another East Midlander!

Off to see if I can find Joe Fielden on the 1861 census!

Thanks folks x

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    That Hunslet birth looks promising. Can't see a Fielden-Hopkins marriage, though.

I was also wondering about all those Todmorden Fieldens, although Todmorden isn't all that close to Leeds. I wonder if the Leeds-Manc railway line was already in operation then? There's a station at Todmorden.

I'd just found the marriage mistranscription, and I've sent a correction to FreeBMD.
                                    Mary
                                    Thanks for sending the correction. I was looking on ancestry and they don't allow a correction for BMD and I didn't think of FreeBMD - will in future tho!
                                    Margaret

Comment

I haven't found Joe anywhere on 1861 or later. So a marriage for Fielden/Hopkins is the next step as Mary says. Very many Fielden marriage though and since we don't have a first name for the mother it's difficult to narrow down.
                                      Margaret
                                      PS I'm in the East Midlands too!
                                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 20-06-09, 13:53.

Comment

I'm also looking for Joseph Fielden/Hopkins on the censuses. Best I've found so far is a Joseph Field, boarder, labourer, born in Hunslet c. 1860, but I'm a bit doubtful about that one. I was hoping to find him as a farrier, which was his occupation in 1891/1901.

Mary (also from the East Midlands)

Comment

Working...
                                        X