Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help someone with a fuddled brain please...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help someone with a fuddled brain please...?

Hi

I have been researching my family tree for the past 5 years. I am also doing my husband's father's and have just started doing my husband's mum's ... the only problem is I stopped for 18 months while pregnant and having my baby (who is now 5 months) and I seem to have lost any confidence and judgement

I have bought the first lot of certificates - which I am sure are right but there are some other people with the same names in the censuses who I think I can rule out and, to make matters worse, someone on Ancestry has the same people in their tree but has attributed different 3x great grandfather.

I was wondering, if I posted what I have ... could anyone please check and see if they think I have the right certificates? I apologise in advance if anyone thinks this is too cheeky but I obviously don't want to follow the wrong tree and you are all so lovely and helpful on here :D

Many thanks

Jo
    :D Charney Jo

Post away! Tell us what you know and we´ll see if we can help.
    Elaine

Comment

Just the sort of thing the helpful folk on here love doing. I'd suggest you do it in bite-size chunks, one ancestral line and a couple of generations at a time.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Not cheeky at all, get posting

Comment

See - great minds think alike, simultaneously.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks SO much. I was hoping that would be the reply!

Uncle John - I am only following one line as she is only interested in the Treadwell's (her father's) line.

OK, I know from her that her father was Robert Treadwell, b May 1915 and his parents were Edwin Treadwell and Annie Treadwell (nee Seal). Edwin died when Robert was very little.

I have bought Robert's birth certificate and it confirms that his father was Edwin Treadwell, who was a barman. his mother was Annie Elizabeth Treadwell formerly Seal.

I have also bought the following certs:

Birth - Edwin Albert Treadwell, born 9 Aug 1886, Aston, Warwickshire - father Henry Treadwell, occ Tube Caster; mother Margaret Treadwell formerly Forster

Marriage - Edwin Albert Treadwell - barman and Annie Seal; 31 July 1910 Holy Trinity, Bordersley, Birmingham. Both aged 23. Edwin's father is listed as Edwin Treadwell (?) - Brass Caster and Annie's father is George Seal - Caster.

Death - Edwin Albert Treadwell - barman. 17th September 1916.

------

I think that these are all OK.

Then I bought ...

Marriage - Henry Treadwell and Margaret Forster. 17 July 1866. The Register Office, Newcastle upon Tyne. Henry - Cook in Hotel. Henry's father - Charles Treadwell, a Cook in Hotel. Margaret's father Joseph Forster, a Colliery Agent.

Death - Henry Treadwell, 25 January 1917. Formerly Brass Caster. Death notified by Edith A H...(can't read surname and don't have a scanner!) Aston, Birmingham.

Death - Margaret Hindmarsh Treadwell, 23 October 1905, wife of Henry Treadwell a General Labourer. Aston, Birmingham.

Comment

Ah, English Bob, the other lines are on hold at the moment. The only reason I started this again so early is that ancestry had a deal on (half price!) and an impending big birthday for my MIL.

Unfortunately my head doesn't seem to have fully recovered ...

Comment

Sorry, need to go to bed (well, feed and then bed!) but will check back tomorrow to see if anyone has managed to have a check for me. Many thanks and good night!

Comment

Hi Jo, just had a quick look see, have you got the 1891 census which shows 4yr old Edwin Albert living at 7 Alexander Place, Westley St, Aston, B'Ham with his parents Henry (45), a casters labourer b. Leamington, and Margaret (44) b.Gateshead, Durham. there are a few brothers & sisters too, John H (23) widower, gen lab. b. Newcastle, Sarah E A (21) & William (19) both enameller, Florence a(16) a tin solderer, and Alice M (10) & Fred (7). Going to bed now will look again in the morning.
                  Alison

Comment

Hi Alison

Yes, that is the Edwin line I have in the census returns. I am fairly sure that this is the right line because they are living next door to Annie Seal and her family in 1891! Too much of a coincidence?

I perhaps should add that I think I am a bit unnerved by this line because I was told by all the relatives when I started this that Robert's father was Edward and there is an Edward Treadwell born in Birmingham in 1885. However, the fact that he is called Edwin on his marriage cert (along with the fact that he had a son and grandson called Edwin!) which I know is right ... surely I can then assume that this is the right man?

I'm sorry, the more I look at this now the more I am sure it is right - but I just have a little nagging doubt and want to be sure.

Many thanks

Jo

P.S. Ironically for someone with a baby, getting up early to do this before my baby wakes up!!!
                    Last edited by Charney Jo; 20-06-09, 09:46.

Comment

i think edward and edwin are interchangeable.

Comment

Edward and Edwin can be interchangeable at times, but they can also be independent names.

I'm looking at this thread and thinking there's a coincidence - my maternal gggrandmother was a Seale. My paternal ggggrandmother was a Hindmarsh.

You may find Hindmarsh is a family surname a bit further back too
                        Barbara

Comment

Hi Barbara

They weren't from Aston / Birmingham / Warwickshire were they :-)?

Comment

I always remind myself Jo that census returns were written down by human beings who could write (often the only qualification needed) and I have enough difficulty understanding some accents so if they sometimes wrote down what they thought was said it is to be excused. After all they were putting down endless names, addresses, ages, occupations. Surely they must have had that friday feeling sometimes!
                            And then we get the transcribers too....!!!!
                            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                              Hi Barbara

They weren't from Aston / Birmingham / Warwickshire were they :-)?

Sorry they weren't. My Seal(e)s family were from Derbyshire and my Hindmarsh family from Northumberland
                              Barbara

Comment

Working...
                              X